Reapplication Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medemac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CA/white, Top 30 University of California
Medically underserved area of Northern CA
2020 Cycle: 40 schools including DO (really broad using MSAR and a list from here)- applied first day...

Cumulative GPA 3.71
Science GPA 3.71

MCAT Scores
2016 - 513 (128/127/128/130)
2019 - 522 (132/130/130/130)

Research – >1000 hrs.
High Altitude Medicine. Basic science.
Spinal Cord Injury. Basic science. 1 international-level oral/poster presentation
Clinical MRI brain research. 2 first author publications, 1 or more mid-author, 7 abstracts (2 first author presentations)

Volunteering (clinical) – 450 hrs.
3 years medical/dental/optometric assistant at community clinic for Hispanic underserved
Medical assistant at an endurance race held at high altitude

Physician shadowing – 100 hrs.
ER, radiology, family medicine

Non-clinical volunteering - 500 hrs.
Two non-profit organizations that benefit underserved communities in urban USA and rural Vietnam/Mexico
Food bank volunteering for homeless center
Multiple health fairs in underserved communities.

Extracurricular activities - >1000 hrs.
Piano and running (started a hiking club, building up the courage/skills to perform piano live)
Consulting
Health fair committee

Employment history - >1000 hrs.
Tutor and peer mentor for all academic levels
NIH fellowship
Medical assistant or Scribe (currently interviewing for this)

Other:
Homelessness?
Lived in half a dozen states

Ideas:
New LOR from clinical research PI should be great
Italicized medical jobs to get more clinical hours and another LOR maybe.
My coursework LORs are questionable because 200 person classes. Thinking of taking courses solely to get some new letters but they're all virtual.
Get better at writing (maybe a virtual writing course. two birds with one stone)

Anyways, no IA, no felony, getting into medical school is hard.
WAMC next year

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I'm quite surprised you haven't gotten in. How do you feel about your writing? Have you had others take a look at your complete application to check for red flags?

Last edited:
From your post history, it looks like you're already a 1x reapplicant? It does seem really weird to not be getting more attention, since you've made at least a few major changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm quite surprised you haven't gotten in. How do you feel about writing? Have you had others take a look at your complete application to check for red flags?
I thought the writing was moving and convincing. At the bare minimum, what I said was substantiated by lived experiences that I had reflected deeply on. Even with the rejections, I think it's good and would be doing fairly minor revisions on what I submitted.

Every part of my application has been viewed by at least one person. All writing was viewed by a physician and MS3.

I showed the NIH pre-med adviser my application in early December and they said to expect some more interviews...

From your post history, it looks like you're already a 1x reapplicant? It does seem really weird to not be getting more attention, since you've made at least a few major changes.
This is my 3rd cycle.
Cycle #1 I was young and dumb. Not enough schools and all reaches.
Cycle #2 I didn't have the food bank volunteering or clinical research and applied in late September.

Last edited:
I see that you got 3 IIs and 2 WLs. Where are the IIs from? How did you feel the interviews go?
WL 1: Research-focused school. Stressful interview, soured me on the program but beggars can't be choosers. No updates allowed.

WL 2: Service-oriented school that said get more volunteering and clinical experience when I asked for feedback. I updated them with additional foodbank stuff last month. Neutral-good interview experience.

School 3: 10% post-interview acceptance rate for OOS applicants. I will hear in March. Can't communicate with them until then. Very positive interview, but 10% acceptance is historic rate and they said they're interviewing way more people this year.

It's possible I get in off a waitlist but from my perspective the ones I'm on are not going anywhere and the one I'm waiting to hear from is not likely.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised too. Nothing from DO's ? Only things I can put my finger on is maybe your writing and/or your interviewing. Hoping you feel some love from the 3 II's. I'd give my right arm for that MCAT.