Reapplication question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zconnerv

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I applied to around 20 high stat MD schools (top 40) that I was not ready to apply to (def out of reach) in the 2019-20 cycle. I'm retaking the MCAT in December but wanted to still apply to some different MD schools in the 2020-2021 cycle. There are quite a few schools that I haven't sent primaries to that have lower MCAT ranges (502-510ish) that I think I have a shot at with my stats.
Since the 2019 cycle, I have gained around 9 months of research experience (I hadn't done research until I had already sent in my app) and much more leadership/volunteer experience in a clinical setting. However, I'm worried that it'd reflect on me poorly if the schools I haven't applied to yet noticed that I didn't retake the MCAT before entering another application cycle and applying at their school.

Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Thank you for your time!
(506 with 3.92 postbacc sci gpa, 3.66 sci undergrad/3.77 overall undergrad gpa)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I applied to around 20 high stat MD schools (top 40) that I was not ready to apply to (def out of reach) in the 2019-20 cycle. I'm retaking the MCAT in December but wanted to still apply to some different MD schools in the 2020-2021 cycle. There are quite a few schools that I haven't sent primaries to that have lower MCAT ranges (502-510ish) that I think I have a shot at with my stats.
Since the 2019 cycle, I have gained around 9 months of research experience (I hadn't done research until I had already sent in my app) and much more leadership/volunteer experience in a clinical setting. However, I'm worried that it'd reflect on me poorly if the schools I haven't applied to yet noticed that I didn't retake the MCAT before entering another application cycle and applying at their school.

Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Thank you for your time!
(506 with 3.92 postbacc sci gpa, 3.66 sci undergrad/3.77 overall undergrad gpa)

You plan on re-taking the MCAT in December of 2020 after you submit your applications for the 2020-2021 cycle?
If you want to retake the mcat, you should do it Sooner rather than December 2020.

What’s your state of residence?
You should add DOs school on your list.

Reactions: 2 users
You plan on re-taking the MCAT in December of 2020 after you submit your applications for the 2020-2021 cycle?
If you want to retake the mcat, you should do it Sooner rather than December 2020.

What’s your state of residence?
You should add DOs school on your list.
Thanks for the reply! I'm in Colorado. I got into some DO schools but have been a little bit worried about going to one with the recent changes to Step I. And yes, you're correct. I realize I don't have a very competitive MCAT but I think I have a solid app besides that. I figured that it'd be worth a try to apply this year to schools that have some lower MCAT averages before I end up retaking the test. If I don't get in anywhere, I figured that I could just reapply in 2021 with the new score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I'm in Colorado. I got into some DO schools but have been a little bit worried about going to one with the recent changes to Step I. And yes, you're correct. I realize I don't have a very competitive MCAT but I think I have a solid app besides that. I figured that it'd be worth a try to apply this year to schools that have some lower MCAT averages before I end up retaking the test. If I don't get in anywhere, I figured that I could just reapply in 2021 with the new score.
Why would you want to risk being a third time applicant? By that time I think the negative of being a third time applicant will negate whatever benefit you get from a higher MCAT score. (Adcoms will question your judgment in applying the second time before retaking the MCAT, and the odds are high you won't have any As by the time you are taking the test in December, even though you might receive some As later in the cycle, rendering all the work you put into retaking the test pointless.)

I'd either take the DO and not look back, just apply next cycle to the lower stat schools and see what happens, or wait a year, retake the MCAT, and then reapply. I really think being a third time applicant as a Plan C is a bad idea!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the DO acceptances!
I do not think it is wise to deny a medical school acceptance because you are worried about the unknown outcome of step 1 p/f change.

If you reapply MD, make sure you are able to show you have made Significant improvements/ changes since you last cycle. I’ve read that schools are looking for huge improvements in their re-applicants. Waiting to take the MCAT in dec 2020 is a waist since the 2020-2021 cycle will be coming to an end by the time you get your new score back.

I’m not an expert on DO admissions. But I think if you turn down your DO acceptance and apply DO next cycle you probably won’t get accepted again? Maybe @Goro can confirm or deny that

Also, if you don't mind answering what might seem like a stupid question -- why did you apply DO this cycle but no lower stat MDs, in addition to the reaches?

Why would you want to risk being a third time applicant? By that time I think the negative of being a third time applicant will negate whatever benefit you get from a higher MCAT score. (Adcoms will question your judgment in applying the second time before retaking the MCAT, and the odds are high you won't have any As by the time you are taking the test in December, even though you might receive some As later in the cycle, rendering all the work you put into retaking the test pointless.)

I'd either take the DO and not look back, just apply next cycle to the lower stat schools and see what happens, or wait a year, retake the MCAT, and then reapply. I really think being a third time applicant as a Plan C is a bad idea!!
Thank you for your feedback! I didn't know that it was looked at so badly to reapply. I figured it would show persistence, but thank you for the heads up! My question was if the schools that I didn't apply to would see that I applied once already.

Also, if you don't mind answering what might seem like a stupid question -- why did you apply DO this cycle but no lower stat MDs, in addition to the reaches?
It was because I took the MCAT in June, was practicing around 512-514 and thought my score would be higher haha. I was wrong..

Reactions: 1 user
FM DO = $160k+ salary guaranteed
FM MD = $160k+ salary guaranteed

Re-applicant that throws DO in trash and doesn't get accepted MD next round = more volunteering and no salary guaranteed

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
FM DO = $160k+ salary guaranteed
FM MD = $160k+ salary guaranteed

Re-applicant that throws DO in trash and doesn't get accepted MD next round = more volunteering and no salary guaranteed

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
And more essays, more LORs, more expenses/interviews :(

I do not think it is wise to deny a medical school acceptance because you are worried about the unknown outcome of step 1 p/f change.

If you reapply MD, make sure you are able to show you have made Significant improvements/ changes since you last cycle. I’ve read that schools are looking for huge improvements in their re-applicants. Waiting to take the MCAT in dec 2020 is a waist since the 2020-2021 cycle will be coming to an end by the time you get your new score back.

I’m not an expert on DO admissions. But I think if you turn down your DO acceptance and apply DO next cycle you probably won’t get accepted again? Maybe @Goro can confirm or deny that
Thank you so much! I may be excessively neurotic about not being able to swing a specialty as a DO. That was my main worry with the recent change. I appreciate the advice, it's seeming like the general consensus is go DO or reapply with a better score. Thank you guys for your opinions!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I may be excessively neurotic about not being able to swing a specialty as a DO. That was my main worry with the recent change. I appreciate the advice, it's seeming like the general consensus is go DO or reapply with a better score. Thank you guys for your opinions!!
If you go to the DO forum you’ll see that the new step change is certainly not the end of the world. You will still match! Work hard and etc and worry not!

Thank you for your feedback! I didn't know that it was looked at so badly to reapply. I figured it would show persistence, but thank you for the heads up! My question was if the schools that I didn't apply to would see that I applied once already.
It does show persistence, but it also shows poor judgment to apply before an application is ready. Yes, each application counts against you a little more, but lots of people are accepted after multiple applications, so it's not a deal breaker; it's just another obstacle to overcome. Some schools specifically ask if you've ever applied anywhere; others don't, but they can typically tell by the dates on things in your file, like MCAT scores.

Bottom line -- if you think you can do significantly better on the MCAT and want to go that route, wait the year and do it right. If you'd be happy at a lower stat school and are confident you can be accepted with your current application, do that and don't retake the MCAT. It just doesn't make sense to do both. And, of course, you could save yourself a lot of grief and just take one of the DO acceptances and kill it there and go on to have a great career.

Thank you so much for your advice!!

If you go to the DO forum you’ll see that the new step change is certainly not the end of the world. You will still match! Work hard and etc and worry not!
Thank you very much for the reassurance. I really like the schools I got into. I was feeling like the sky was falling though haha.

It does show persistence, but it also shows poor judgment to apply before an application is ready. Yes, each application counts against you a little more, but lots of people are accepted after multiple applications, so it's not a deal breaker; it's just another obstacle to overcome. Some schools specifically ask if you've ever applied anywhere; others don't, but they can typically tell by the dates on things in your file, like MCAT scores.

Bottom line -- if you think you can do significantly better on the MCAT and want to go that route, wait the year and do it right. If you'd be happy at a lower stat school and are confident you can be accepted with your current application, do that and don't retake the MCAT. It just doesn't make sense to do both. And, of course, you could save yourself a lot of grief and just take one of the DO acceptances and kill it there and go on to have a great career.
Well said, thank you =)

Well said, thank you =)
Now here's another crazy question for you, especially given your last experience with a June MCAT -- is there any way you can get yourself ready in time for a May test date this year? If so, that would allow you to submit a throwaway primary on June 1 and also have your score back in time to submit secondaries early. Don't do it if you're not confident you can hit your target in 2.5 months, but, if it's doable, it can save you the year assuming the rest of your application is good.

I don't suggest this to dissuade you from the DO route, which is probably the path I would take in your situation just to resolve the uncertainty and not subject myself to the process again, but just to give you an alternative you might not have considered.

Depends upon the question in secondaries that ask have you previously been accepted.

It's funny you should mention that. I was going to take a diagnostic FLE this week to see where I'm at just in case. I didn't study for the MCAT at all since I found out I got acceptances at DO schools, so I'm not sure. By the way, I took the MCAT June 28th so I definitely shot myself in the foot when I probably should've waited til the next cycle haha.

I'm still not 100% sure that I won't be taking that route (DO). I just had some concerns about if there'd be too much of a roadblock to pursue a decent IM residency (although who knows if I'll still want that in 3 years haha). I'm hoping to learn more from some residency program directors in the coming months in order for me to make a decision.