Reapplication_early submission vs. new essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahak49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is July 15th 2010. I am taking MCAT on August 5. I am a reapplicant; applied (AMCAS) in 2010; then withdrew in a month. Never submitted any secondaries at all.

Point is - schools will receive MCAT score by Sep 5. Should I just submit my AMCAS application now using the same old essay from last cycle? So that, AMCAS atleast verifies my transcript and coursework by September 5? OR.... Should I revise my essay that might take me like until August 20 to just submit application (Then additional 6 wks to process almost end of September)?

My concern is - I might become too late in application cycle. What should I do guys? MCAT practice scores are too low (25-27).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The first thing an adcom member does when you submit an application as a reapplicant is to pull up your old application to see how you've improved upon it.

You don't want to hamstring your application just because you don't want to write another two-page essay.

Edit- Also, it takes you six weeks to write an essay? WTF?

The first thing an adcom member does when you submit an application as a reapplicant is to pull up your old application to see how you've improved upon it.

You don't want to hamstring your application just because you don't want to write another two-page essay.

Edit- Also, it takes you six weeks to write an essay? WTF?

The bolded is a total urban legend. I have now talked to 3 adcom members (different schools) who said that would never happen at their school. Their real response was more like: "Who the hell has the time for that?? We're swamped as it is!"

I say make sure you essay is up-to-date and if you are happy with it I would go ahead and use it. Nobody is expecting your reasons for becoming a physician to change so much over time. Pull the trigger!

(Though I do agree with Bushido that 6 weeks to write a short essay that's all about you is insane. If that's your writing speed, start pre-writing those secondaries ASAP.)