reapply for IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medin2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a PGY1 GS residency. After much soul searching, I would like to switch to IM after completing intern year. How difficult to reapply at next cycle. My stats: step 1 and 2 in 250s, step 3 in 230s. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a PGY1 GS residency. After much soul searching, I would like to switch to IM after completing intern year. How difficult to reapply at next cycle. My stats: step 1 and 2 in 250s, step 3 in 230s. Thanks for any advice.

Why? General surgeons like to say they're better trained internists. [To which I respond: go nuts! have fun titrating that insulin and dealing with case management.]

If you are AMG, it should be a walk. If you are IMG, and if you can get good letter from your surgery program, it shouldn't be too difficult...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am AMG, just wan to switch from GS to IM, think IM will fit me better long term. Somehow, I am a bit concerned that PD will not like someone who will re-apply

I am AMG, just wan to switch from GS to IM, think IM will fit me better long term. Somehow, I am a bit concerned that PD will not like someone who will re-apply
That's not generally true. Especially going into IM. You'll need to have a good answer for the "why" but that's pretty easy.

One big question is, are you an entering PGY1 or about to finish PGY1? If the former, see below, if the latter, did you not sign your renewal contract for next year? Or is your current PD expecting you'll be back?

Honestly, the biggest problem you're going to have is getting time off for interviews. Not sure what the landscape will look like this year, but if your interviews are in person, you're probably looking at 5 or fewer interviews if you're trying to squeeze them into a GS intern year. Easiest/safest option is to look at the IM program at your current hospital, as well as your med school, and see if they are interested in you (and vice versa).

I am finishing PGY1 GS this summer. Will reapply next cycle. I have talked to my PD, seems pretty supportive. So I will gap one year, work a bit and do some research and apply. So interviewing is not a problem

I am finishing PGY1 GS this summer. Will reapply next cycle. I have talked to my PD, seems pretty supportive. So I will gap one year, work a bit and do some research and apply. So interviewing is not a problem
Thanks for the clarification.

That will fix all of the concerns I had. Do something clinical/y/ish next year and you'll be fine. Be sure to get a good/great LOR from your current PD and some kind of IM adjacent attending from this year (ICU and EM are good options) so programs have a good idea of your clinical chops.

Your current hospital and med school IM programs remain your sweet spot, but you've got nothing but money and ego to lose by applying broadly and seeing how things go.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your advice @gutonc. what clinical activities you suggest I do during the gap year, is scribe okay?

You're going to be absolutely fine. As long as you have a PD letter that states you left of your own accord and that they would have happily continued your PGY-2 training, you'll get plenty of interviews and a spot.

Reactions: 1 users
You are planning to obtain your medical license before the reapplication, right?
yes, i will have my state medical license. I am not sure with just finishing intern year, what can I do even with the license

Probably fine if you just want to get into ANY IM program. But you'll have to be more selective if you would like to do one of the more competitive fellowships afterwards like cardiology or GI. And the those IM programs will of course also be more selective but with your numbers it's a reasonable shot as long as your current PD is supportive and you're in good standing at your current program.

Why? General surgeons like to say they're better trained internists. [To which I respond: go nuts! have fun titrating that insulin and dealing with case management.]

Do you have any advice for titrating insulin?