Reapply for M.D. or take a chance at M.D./PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencemark

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are more competitive as MD/PhD than MD. If you apply broad (PM me to discuss specifics) with 5-10 dream, 5-10 match, and 5 safety, you should score sufficient interviews to have offers. Make sure that you use every part of the application to indicate love for science. Also use the disadvantaged box to indicate that you had to have part-time job to support yourself during college. You don't need to do more clinical hours, if applying only MD/PhD, o/w you do as your application for MD might not be strong enough. Did you interview well? Do you have skeletons in the closet?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're definitely competitive for MD/PhD with all that research experience as long as you led some independent projects. Your MCAT is great (if balanced) and while your GPA is borderline, you'll still have a shot at some top schools that will overlook it. You might have to explain why you applied MD then switched to MD/PhD. I don't know how admissions work behind the scenes, but I feel they might want to make sure you're not using it as a backdoor to the MD-only program. Also, I have classmates that did the NIH post-bacc program and I know they recommend it to anyone who asks. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, but with as much research experience as you have, along with your NIH placement do you think that a PhD is necessary? I ask since you mention your interests in clinical and translational research, which is hypothesis based, but I've looked at/considered the programs that offer that type of PhD and think you may have more experience than is required and possibly necessary. For reference, I have about 3 years of research experience (2 translational related, ~1 translational) and considered clinical/translational PhDs for MD/PhD, but 1) I didn't find many and 2) those that I did find I felt like I'd be repeating elements of what I did previously. Based on 1) and 2), instead of applying to MD/PhD programs I applied to 2 more specialized translational imaging programs The Interfaces Program – at the University of Pennsylvania & Neuroimaging Training Program | Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology toward applying for an F3x grant/entering track 3 of NIH MD/PHD Partnership Training Program - Prospective Students, but decided to go MD only. I'm also going to Wall Street during 2017-2018 for the last year of my MSc, and will do that for a year or two afterward to make money. If it looks like I can make 200k+/year and keep progressing (e.g. to a managing director), I'll stay; you could find a similar or different back up plan. To reduce need for MD/PhD funding, you could also take a scholarly leave of absence to consult or do something else during medical school e.g. McKinsey | Icahn School of Medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback! One quick question for you: what should I do for a backup plan, in case I don't get into any Md/PhD programs? My biggest fear in applying Md/PhD is that I don't get in anywhere (again), which is pretty likely since only 1/3 of Md/PhD applicants get into a program somewhere, and I have a below average GPA.

As mentioned above, you are competitive for MD/PhD so try to think of not getting in anywhere as the less likely outcome for now. You need to be 100% confident in your application and give it your best shot.

It's important to have a plan B but it will depend on your application and goals, there is no fixed formula. A generally good approach for interviews, if you are asked, is to lay out a plan for the coming year (what you want to continue doing/improve upon), leading up to a reapplication. This will show that you are determined to pursue the program you are actively applying to (and help convince them of your commitment). Getting an interview implies the school wants you so you shouldn't suggest that you are going to immediately give up or switch to something else if it doesn't work out. I'd be happy to discuss your ideas for a plan B in more detail if you DM me.

Some schools automatically consider you got MD if you get rejected from MD-PhD. USC is one of them.

As for your rejection, did you ask adcoms about your letters and feedback on your written application? You can't see them but they can still give you an idea what the letters said about you. Your stats are pretty good, so do you think it is possible your written application is the reason for your unsuccessfulness? I only ask letters from professors I get along with and keep in touch with. Keep in touch with them and seek advice. That way they can note you still look to learn from them even after you are done with classes.

If you ask a letter from a doctor, make sure you really stand out from other shadowers. The doctors will hint that. Where I shadowed, even the administrative staff liked me and we don't even interact much and I was told the doctors loved how I participated and displayed a strong desire to learn. Maybe you didn't have enough letters?

Last edited:
You are more competitive as MD/PhD than MD. If you apply broad (PM me to discuss specifics) with 5-10 dream, 5-10 match, and 5 safety, you should score sufficient interviews to have offers. Make sure that you use every part of the application to indicate love for science. Also use the disadvantaged box to indicate that you had to have part-time job to support yourself during college. You don't need to do more clinical hours, if applying only MD/PhD, o/w you do as your application for MD might not be strong enough. Did you interview well? Do you have skeletons in the closet?

Working part-time during undergraduate to pay expenses makes you disadvantage? Is this standard? I just applied this past cycle and didn't indicate disadvantage status even though I worked part-time three years in undergrad. That statement makes me wonder if I missed any potential opportunities.

If you had to work to pay for your living and tuition expenses, that is something that NOT everyone have to do. You can use the disadvantaged section of your application to highlight this part of your career path. Some other people have tuition and living expenses paid by Scholarships and some by their families. If you are in any of these two latter categories, then you have more time to perform at a higher level academically and/or obtain those experiences that make you more competitive.