Reapply new Letters of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hxexn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if you apply to the same schools the following year do you need new sets of letters of recommendation or do the retain the ones you previously sent.

Members don't see this ad.

If your using pharmCAS, you need to submit new ones. If you submitted them directly to the school, then you need to ask them.

Every new year is a new period of application. I think you have to resubmit new LOR whether you use pharmcas or not

Members don't see this ad :)
Do most people ask the same people that wrote the original LORs or do they get different people to write them? Although asking the same ones to rewrite the LORs may be awkward, I don't want them to think I'm a loser :oops: , which is what I totally feel like right now. I'm not sure if I will have to reapply, but if I do it may be difficult since I will be graduating in May and not in contact with my professors anymore.

Do most people ask the same people that wrote the original LORs or do they get different people to write them? Although asking the same ones to rewrite the LORs may be awkward, I don't want them to think I'm a loser :oops: , which is what I totally feel like right now. I'm not sure if I will have to reapply, but if I do it may be difficult since I will be graduating in May and not in contact with my professors anymore.

Since PharmCAS is all online it's not too terribly awkward to have the same ones write the LOR all over again and since new applications become available in June, the timing shouldn't really be a problem. My profs actually preferred to get the LOR request online, it takes the some of the awkwardness out of having to ask them face to face.

Since PharmCAS is all online it's not too terribly awkward to have the same ones write the LOR all over again and since new applications become available in June, the timing shouldn't really be a problem. My profs actually preferred to get the LOR request online, it takes the some of the awkwardness out of having to ask them face to face.

I know it's hard to ask them again face to face, but out of courtesy, shouldn't we ask the profs in person, or is it because now that everything is computerized, it really doesn't matter?

I know it's hard to ask them again face to face, but out of courtesy, shouldn't we ask the profs in person, or is it because now that everything is computerized, it really doesn't matter?

If you don't ask them face to face, a lot of profs (especially PhDs in lecture halls of >300 people) dont know you. What I found is they write you very generic letters of rec, ie: "Person X was in my class Fall 2007. He/she was ranked #250 out of 270 students and received a C." Thats it. Ask them face to face, the nice ones will offer to interview you and write you a more personal letter of rec. Just my 2 cents :thumbup:

I'd agree that you need to ask your evaluators face-to-face so they can get to know you a bit more and the letter they write will weigh more to the admission committe. If you have a large class (>200 people), you need to somehow make yourself known to the instructor if you intend to ask him/her for LORs. You can do this by acing their tests, asking questions after classes the time during which you'd tell them about your future plan in pharmacy.

All the people I asked knew me pretty well. One was my academic advisor for the last three years. I also had her 3 quarters for Biochem. Another was my first contact here, I've know her for 4 years and she was my Seminar advisor for two quarters. The third one I've had for Intermediate orgo and Medicinal chemistry. I also asked over the summer when they weren't teaching. I happened to run into one of them at a Hogi Yogi which is where I first asked her and she said over the summer it's better just to email. Then, again, she's very familiar with my name/who I am. All my science classes have been 40 people or less. So it's been very easy to get acquainted with them.

I would say, formally, it is better to ask in person. Especially if it's been a while since you've been in their class or if you had them in one of the above mentioned 300+ student lecture classes. However, hopefully you have people who know you better than just some face out of 300 who happened to do well in their class. The better they know you, the better the LOR.

I wrote one of my professors an email since he is 2 hours away from me. He never wrote back to say if he would do it or not. I was desperate, so I just sent him the Pharmcas link and he did it the very next day.

How would I go about starting a good relationship with professors?

How would I go about starting a good relationship with professors?

Start asking questions. Email questions and start going to office hours. And most importantly, don't fail the class :)

When I asked one of my professors to write me a letter, he said that he doesn't know me well but what he writes can be good. I asked him because he is soooooooooo organized and reliable. I didn't even go to his office hours or anything, but I answered a lot of his questions in class. I'm still in his class taking biochem and I haven't even sent him a thank you letter yet. I need to do that tomorrow.

Start asking questions. Email questions and start going to office hours. And most importantly, don't fail the class :)

When I asked one of my professors to write me a letter, he said that he doesn't know me well but what he writes can be good. I asked him because he is soooooooooo organized and reliable. I didn't even go to his office hours or anything, but I answered a lot of his questions in class. I'm still in his class taking biochem and I haven't even sent him a thank you letter yet. I need to do that tomorrow.

thank u letter for LOR?

thank u letter for LOR?

Yes!!! They took the time out to write you letters. Don't you think it would be nice to send a thank you card to show that you appreciate what they did for you. For those of you that might need to ask for letters again, that's the way to go!!!

Yes!!! They took the time out to write you letters. Don't you think it would be nice to send a thank you card to show that you appreciate what they did for you. For those of you that might need to ask for letters again, that's the way to go!!!

oh ****!! i never did and now i have to ask them for lors again.....i hope i didnt give them a bad impression:scared: :scared: :scared:

It's ok. Just tell them that you hate to bother them again, but you really need their help and would really appreciate it if they can take some time out of their busy schedule to write you another letter.

It's never a bad thing to show them some appreciation. That's where you get all the hook-ups :)

It's ok. Just tell them that you hate to bother them again, but you really need their help and would really appreciate it if they can take some time out of their busy schedule to write you another letter.

It's never a bad thing to show them some appreciation. That's where you get all the hook-ups :)

thnks....