1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Reapply or give up and move on?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by cgusta_1, Mar 27, 2007.

1. cgusta_1

My science GPA is 3.15, my non-science GPA is 3.72, and my cumulative GPA is 3.36. My DAT scores are 18 academic average, 20 biology, 19 chemistry, 18 organic chemistry, 19 reading comprehension, 15 quantitative reasoning :( , and 18 perceptual ability. I have a B.S. in Biological Sciences. I shadowed a dentist for four years, and I worked ad a dental assistant for five months. I also have worked for a year and a half in a forensics lab. I have been waitlisted at Tufts this year. I did apply late (as in september). I applied to LSU in 2005 (when I graduated). Katrina got in the way the next year. I reapplied this year using aadsas and got straight up rejected from NOVA, Arizona, LSU, Alabama, and possibly Creighton. I have already taken the DAT three times. So what do y'all think: Reapply or give up and move on.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rsalasv

rsalasv Memberd

Dental Student
    I say just buckle down and really study for the DATs. It's all about taking lots and lots of practice tests. your gpa is fine, your extracurrculars are fine, there should be absolutely no problem if you just really study hard for those DATs. Personally, it's about getting the job that you want, right? Whatever your decision, good luck :)

4. darksky

Pre-Dental
    move on and definitely reapply.

5. UnderRep

UnderRep Traveling the US

Dental Student
    The only way I would say not to reapply is if you were 65 years old and looking to retire.
    otherwise you will always have a shot.

Call up some of the schools that you got rejected from and find out why.
    Do this once this application period is over, most schools will help you figure out why your application wasnt strong enough.
    maybe you will have to take a year off to strengthen your app but if dentistry is what you want to do, go for it.

6. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero

Dental Student
    you should reapply. you are not that far off from getting accepted. dont let anything get in the way of your dream.

7. diane07

Pre-Dental
    It's really your decision. If you're up for the whole application process again and want to reapply, then do so. But if your heart's not in it, then do some soul searching to see if this is what you really want to pursue.

You may want to call up some schools for their critique on why you weren't accepted. Then take their recommendations and improve your application.

8. Nasem

Pre-Medical
    Your GPA numbers are pretty sweet. One suggestion I can give you is to look hard at the Creighton post-bac program that offers you a guaranteed seat for the next cycle that you apply for.

Basically, if you can show them that you have been rejected and that you want dentistry and you want it BADDD!, they will take you into their post-bac program, have you re-take all your pre-reqs (which wounÂ’t be a problem for you since you have taken those classes already), obtain a minimum of 3.5+ GPA and get a minimum on the DAT, they will hold a spot for you in their dental programÂ…. Its actually a super sweet deal and the post-bac program is only like a year in length

9. Fuji

Your stats are fine and you have good work and shadowing experience. Reapply early this time and apply to more schools (like 15 or 20).

You'll get in if you don't give up.

10. RypTide11

RypTide11 New Member

Here are some of my suggestions.

- APPLY EARLY!!

- Apply to way more schools. Especially the lower and mid tiers. You should be applying to like 15 schools.

- Retake DAT to try to improve your QR. Try to get a min of 18 in every section.

- Don't give up on your dreams. There is always something you can do to improve your application. For example find a job as a dental lab assistant, go get a masters, and expose yourself to different types of dentistry.

11. cgusta_1

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I needed a little encouragement, it is very tough having your life in limbo and put on hold.

12. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry

Dental Student
    if i'm not mistaken the new policy (effective jan. 1st of this year) is that you can't take the DAT more than 3 times

applying earlier next time is your best bet...:thumbup:

best of luck

13. seansk

seansk USC Dentistry Class 2010

Dentist
    hey here's my thing, if this is what you really wana do!! you have to be erally serious about it. your DAT's are not bad... and your total gpa is ok!! try to take some extra classes if you can at a community college to boost up your total GPA....really concentrate on the DAT's and work on the sections that you really lack on....the most important --> let the dental schools ( or sepecifically the one you really want to go to and think you might have a shot at) know that you're really interested!! i can't emphasize this enought...don't lose hope...if this is honestly what you wana do...you can do it! and you will do it!

14. dp_PRIME

dp_PRIME Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey buddy, we've all been there. I didn't get in until my 2nd time...and my first round i got 1 interview out of 10 schools i applied too. Second time i busted through and got accepted to all of them. So i know exactly how you feel, it can be discouraging and a humbling experience, but believe me, disregard the bad and work hard to beef up ur stats. At the end when u get ur acceptance letter it will all be worth it.
    Best of luck!

15. stallownage

Pre-Dental
    prime, just out of curiosity, what part of your whole application process changed between the first and second times of applying?

what did you do to get only one interview and then to get accepted to 10 schools?!

congrats btw :thumbup:

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Greco28

Greco28 Junior Member

You can take it more than 3 times, however, you need to provide proof that you are still an active dental school applicant.

18. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus

Pre-Dental
    Raise that DAT, raise that GPA and log in more dental related/service hours. What else can you do? Just keep getting invited to interview is all and those three things is what get you there.

Personally, reapplicants would impress me. Especially if each year they got higher scores/GPA's and got more and more exposure to the field. This shows you have the figurative balls to succeed and will not take no for an answer; the kind of student I'd want working their ass off at my school (if i was on adcom or whatever).

And apply to a lot of schools. It doesn't show you lack confidence (as some over-analyzing predents might think). It shows you want to go to school, bottom line.

19. rebar

Pre-Dental
    keep trying... you always have a chance no matter what... the people who take gambles are some of the most sucessful people in life

20. mantraman1010

mantraman1010 Member

Dental Student
    All signals point to GO!!! Reapply, just take some of the advice from the other poster above. Apply early, and to more schools if you want to just get in somewhere and become a dentist. It all depends on how hard you want it. I would not retake the DAT, your numbers are overall solid. Just apply and see what happens.

21. If you are really serious about it you could consider moving. I got into my state school with lower DAT scores than yours. Of course I had a lot of experience and volunteer stuff. But if you establish residency in the right state it can make a world of difference.
    If you decide to take more classes to boost your GPA I would definitely spend the money on a post bacc programm that is attached to a dental school. Most programs like that guarantee you a spot if you are successful so why waste your time with any other school's classes.

22. SirShagaLot

SirShagaLot Move Maker Extraordinaire

Pre-Dental
    so about this whole cant take the DAT more than 3 times thing.......if this rule is effective jan 1 of 2007, does that mean from that point on you cant take it more than 3 times, or if you have already taken it 3 times prior to jan 1 2007 you are screwed and cant retake it???

23. SirShagaLot

SirShagaLot Move Maker Extraordinaire

Pre-Dental
    another question

Can you print off your transcript matching forms from this current cycle and send your transcripts into aadsas now, or do u have to wait until the next application cycle officially begins?

thanks

24. scoparli

scoparli New Member

Pre-Dental
    What got me in to dental school is the fact that I told them I wanted to pursue research doing dental school. It was like waiving a strip of bacon in front of a dog. My suggestion is expand your extracurricular, actually practice the interview, and reapply. youll get there if you really want it.

25. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member

Dental Student
    I've been thinking about it and I think you should give up. No, wait-I meant reapply. Either that or flip a coin. Most of the school websites say that a reapplication is only wise when your application is better than the years before. However, if anyone knew what made the application better or worse then the application process wouldn't be as confusing. As such, if you have the money you should reapply even if your application is exactly the same as last year. Every cycle is unique and you never know what an Adcom is looking for. However, reapplying is stressful enough and you definately want to put your best effort into repplying. You could always take a year off and reapply after that. Forget everything I just typed, I don't know what to think.