reapply this upcoming cycle or wait for the next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholetthedogsout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this cycle (16-17) to about 11 schools, received 4 interview invites and am on the waitlist for a few of them. I'm applying to a 1 year masters program and was planning on doing that program while I reapplied to dental school for the 17-18 application cycle. I talked to my health adviser about this and he told me that it would be wise to finish the 1 year masters program and apply the following cycle for the 18-19 application year. He told me this would be the better option because schools want to see a big improvement when reapplying and that my application would be better if I applied with a finished Master's degree.

My question is do you guys think I should wait another year and apply in the 18-19 cycle with a master's degree or just reapply in the 17-18 cycle while doing my master's. I feel like I was so close to an acceptance this current cycle and don't think I need to wait until the 18-19 cycle. I just want advice/feedback if applying this upcoming June is not the way to go and if I should really wait to apply to dental school next year.

My stats are oGPA: 3.51, sGPA 3.34
DAT: AA 20, TS: 19, PAT 21, RC 23
Leadership positions and exec member of my fraternity, worked as a temporary dental assistant for 300 hrs, volunteered at a dental clinic for 300 hrs, done research, and have more volunteering hours with other clubs.

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply for the upcoming cycle. You had four interviews last cycle so your application is most likely not your issue. I would focus on improving your interviewing skills by doing mock interviews. Good Luck!

Wow, surprising that your adviser told you to wait another full year. With 4 interviews, I would go ahead and apply again this year. Apply as early as possible which I am sure you already know to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply for the upcoming cycle. You had four interviews last cycle so your application is most likely not your issue. I would focus on improving your interviewing skills by doing mock interviews. Good Luck!
Wow, surprising that your adviser told you to wait another full year. With 4 interviews, I would go ahead and apply again this year. Apply as early as possible which I am sure you already know to do.

yeah this what I was thinking as well. This adviser also told me not to apply this current cycle... Just making sure I wasn't being a complete idiot

yeah this what I was thinking as well. This adviser also told me not to apply this current cycle... Just making sure I wasn't being a complete idiot

Outside of money, I think you have VERY little to lose by applying again. I think the advice you got was crap. But I do agree that it's in your best interests to show differences in your application.