Reapply to N.A Schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applepark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just curious to know if anyone has gone to medical school in UK, Ireland, etc.. and then applied for admission to first year medicine in North America. Is it possible to do??? Do one year in a foreign country and then come back and start medical school all over again in North America?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's only possible if you hide the fact that you're in another med school. I started at Ucc last year and then got an interview at U Vermont for January. When I casually told them that I had matriculated to an Irish school, they promptly withdrew my interview. Apparently it's policy there and at virtually all NAmerican schools not to interview/accept students who've matriculated to other schools-- in the interests of avoiding schools poaching one another and leaving unfillable holes in progressing classes.

why would you want to do that though? that'd be a waste of money. i only know of one canadian who transferred to a school back home due to family reasons. but that's transferring, that's not starting over

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to explore all the options. I agree it would be very expensive and would be a waste of a year. My family wanted me to explore that possibility.

Thanks for the posts everyone.

Two people in my year applied to Canadian schools in their first year here and got in, one at Dalhousie and one at UBC. Several others applied and got interviews but no spot at schools like McMaster and MUN. Last year several of the 1st years got interviews at UBC, so it is possible to at least interview at a Canadian school from an Irish one. Cheers,
M

Every year a couple students coming over re-apply during first year back home and those are usually the students who end up having the worst first year because they have one foot out of the country already.

I know one girl who didn't reveal the fact that she was already in a medical school and got into a US school after first year. Think it's pretty rare though. Schools don't make a habit of poaching students.

Applepark, are you sure you want to go to Ireland? If you decide not to stay after 1st year, it will have been a very expensive experience:confused: I hope everything works out no matter what you decide, sounds like you'll do great regardless of place/country! :)

Of the two who did it in my year, one did it for family reasons and the other for practical reasons (easier time getting matched). I think the one who went home for family reasons had a good time here, and doen't regret coming here at all. Can't speak for the other one. It is an expensive experience, but I can see the rational behind going home for med school - it is easier to get a competitive residency from inside Canada, for all the success stories we've been posting here. I know two people who didn't match anywhere last year who ended up going home to research jobs and another kick at the can from inside Canada - ot sure if they matched this year or not. Speaking as someone who has taken an incredibly circuitous route to where I am, I can state with absolute confidence that nothing is ever wasted. All experience is valuable somewhere along the line. Apply and see what happens. Time for bed - I'm starting to sound like a fortune cookie. Cheers,
M

Hey jujube, I'm just feeling a bit torn about the whole thing. One minute I'm completely gung-ho, the other worries about my chances of matching in North America. If it wasn't for the residency issue, I would be hopping on the plane as we speak for the experience. Because it would be an experience of a life time!! I'm having "cold feet" because of what could possibly happening in 5 years from now. Tons can happen and so I'm torn.

On top of that I am having a difficult time deciding which school to reserve my spot at. Both UCD and TCD sound fantastic. Its hard when you aren't there to see and experience the school. I've got a week left to decide. I've been trying for 3 years to get into a North American school and its discouraging, because I know I'm competitive for a spot here. However, I know that I'll probably regret not going to Ireland, so I'll be putting in the deposit. The question right now is just WHERE!!!

Well, here's some more furtune cookie wisdom, this time courtesy of a wise old bird in the family medicine program at Dalhousie university in Halifax, NS. She told me, after we had agreed that admissions committee members all have rocks in their heads (she's on the Dal admissions committe, of course) that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I applied three times in Canada and got interviewed at Dalhousie only all three times, and got rejected from Dal all three times mostly because there just are not enough seats to go around. I got rejection reasons like "you have too many hobbies" and "you don't have any relevant medical experience" (volunteered in the children's hospital for 2 years, volunteer 1st aider), and eventually got the admission that there just wasn't a spot for me once they got to my application (why am I always at the bottom of the heap?). I want to be a GP and work in an underserviced area (which in Nova Scotia would be anywhere more than 30 minutes drive from the centre of Halifax) and still couldn't get a seat in a Canadian med school.
I guess what I am saying it, you will probably never regret coming to Ireland. You will definitely regret not coming. Both Trinity and UCD have good reps - flip a coin :D . Good luck,
M

Go to Ireland and then reapply to Canadian schools. You will not be considered by American schools after matriculating but Canadian ones will look at you. If you don't get in back home, well you'll have one year of medical school done already instead of waiting at home doing something else not related to becoming a doctor. Don't waste your time. If you do get in during your first year, you'll have gain some great experiences, probably travel to many places, and most likely make some amazing friends. The cost of 1 year in Dublin in the grand scheme of things is relatively insignificant if you get accepted into a school back home.

Hey applepark,

I am totally torn too, I didn't apply to any Canadian or US schools because of my MCAT score, however I did apply to St. George's in Grenada and to Trinity College, and I got into both, now I am torn where to go, I definitely plan to get back to Canada, but can't decide which school will give me a better chance of getting a residency spot in FM.
Any thoughts?

Yeah, totally agree! Well, UCD and Trinity both sound like great places, you're in an enviable position at this point of both acceptances:) Whichever school or country you decide to stay in, it will work out in the end for you. This is my 1st and last time applying to U.S. schools. It's been an 'anxiety-provoking' experience, to say the least and I definitely don't want to do this again. I guess I just want to 'get on' with my life, get out of 'premed limbo' even if it means having to go abroad for 5 years. I do admire your perseverance and courage for applying 3 times:thumbup: Take care!
Hey jujube, I'm just feeling a bit torn about the whole thing. One minute I'm completely gung-ho, the other worries about my chances of matching in North America. If it wasn't for the residency issue, I would be hopping on the plane as we speak for the experience. Because it would be an experience of a life time!! I'm having "cold feet" because of what could possibly happening in 5 years from now. Tons can happen and so I'm torn.

On top of that I am having a difficult time deciding which school to reserve my spot at. Both UCD and TCD sound fantastic. Its hard when you aren't there to see and experience the school. I've got a week left to decide. I've been trying for 3 years to get into a North American school and its discouraging, because I know I'm competitive for a spot here. However, I know that I'll probably regret not going to Ireland, so I'll be putting in the deposit. The question right now is just WHERE!!!

Hey applepark,

I am totally torn too, I didn't apply to any Canadian or US schools because of my MCAT score, however I did apply to St. George's in Grenada and to Trinity College, and I got into both, now I am torn where to go, I definitely plan to get back to Canada, but can't decide which school will give me a better chance of getting a residency spot in FM.
Any thoughts?

Go to Trinity - better access to interesting places to travel and about the same expense wise. Also, my contact at Dalhousie pretty much had kittens when I mentioned St George's but was quite excited when I got into UCC. Canadian schools look very favourably on the Irish schools - there's a long history of people training here and then going back to work in Canada, and also of Irish docs going to Canada to train for a while and then going home. The Irish schools don't carry the same stigma as the Carribean ones with patients either. I already have a family medicine residency lined up - since summer of 3rd year - so it is very possible to get into it in Canada from Ireland. One of the final meds is starting at MUN in July too, so again, good chances of getting home from here. Cheers,
M

One of my friends who went to MUA in the Caribbean matched in FM at Dalhousie this year, so Dalhousie is obviously not that strict about Caribbean grads, as St. George's has a much better reputation. The more people I speak with it seems that if you work hard and get good scores on your exams as well as good LOR's, it really doesn't matter where you go for undergrad, there is a shortage of doctors in Canada and that's a fact.