Reapply to schools that offered interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LieutenantDan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to schools that are easier to get into this year, but I previously had interviews and University of Iowa and U of Cincinnati.

Should I include these schools if I was interviewed but didn't get in? Or is there no correlation between being offered an interview one year and chances of being offered another interview?

Members don't see this ad.

You should reapply. Whether or not the school considers you as a fresh applicant is school-dependent. I applied two times: year one, I got an interview at school X, but not year two. Year one, I didn't get an interview at school Y, but got one there year two.

So meh.

I'm currently attending a school that interviewed me both times I applied (I applied in two consecutive years). And I didn't even get waitlisted the first time around, it was a straight up rejection.

I would say you are more likely to get an invite from those schools the second time around than other random schools, though it differs from school to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should reapply. Whether or not the school considers you as a fresh applicant is school-dependent. I applied two times: year one, I got an interview at school X, but not year two. Year one, I didn't get an interview at school Y, but got one there year two.

So meh.

Serious question, what do you think held you back the first time around?

Well they can't accept everyone. If you had a productive year, you're a more attractive candidate and you probably have had experience with medical school interviews so you know how to prepare. If you want to attend those schools, god for it.

It is school-specific, but I've heard that if you have to add some significant aspects to your application. If you apply again with the same application, you are likely to get rejected again.

If you've added some good experiences or gotten better grades or some other improvement, I would apply again.

I'm reapplying to two schools I had interviews at last cycle. Haven't heard anything yet but I don't think it is a bad idea. They liked you enough the first time around to interview you. If you've improved your application now and unless you bombed the interview or omitted something they found out about I think you should be fine there.