Reapplying after AMCAS withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brwn98

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm reapplying to medical school this year, but I believe I'm in a "strange" situation. I actually withdrew my applications in October after receiving a disappointing MCAT score. My question then is should I rewrite my essays? I'm assuming the admissions committees never read my primary application given that I never submitted any secondaries--

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hm, yeah I probably wouldn't rewrite any of them myself, but others might disagree. You likely haven't had that much change in the last few months that would require major revisions and most schools probably only looked at your MCAT and GPA if you hadn't submitted any secondaries yet anyway.

No there is no reason to rewrite your essays. They are a testament to your insight and experience. If you have time - polish them up (if needed)..but otherwise - no - I think it's a waste of time to reinvent the wheel. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not as unique as you think... I did just about the same thing two years ago, the re-applied last year.

I was going to use the same essays, but at the last minute I started over from scratch and wrote a completely different theme. All the months of my subconscious working on it gave me a much better statement. You should try it. Open a new document and start typing again. If it works out better, then you use it. If it does not work out well, then revert to your original.

Just be sure to mark yourself as a "re-applicant" to any school you submitted a primary to the previous year. According to the AAMC rules, you are a re-applicant if you submit a primary. But this is only to schools you listed before. If you add schools, then you are a first time applicant to the new schools.

dsoz

I agree with the others, you may want to add new experiences or insights you've gained since your last application, but if your current application is still a complete and accurate representation then there is no need to completely re-do it. Also, since you "withdrew," your application wasn't processed and schools weren't even notified that you had applied. So to clarify, you DO NOT mark re applicant.
Good luck this cycle!