Reapplying after Matriculating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

tanaface

post removed by author

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have decided to post on this forum because I wanted some advice on a highly unorthodox course of action that my parents are encouraging me to do. Some background on me: 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, good research and extracurriculars, good recommendations, underrepresented minority, first-tier undergrad institution. Was accepted into my state school for medical school and decided to matriculate. In the latter part of the second semester of this year, my state university found itself in the middle of a massive student strike that lasted a total of 62 days. While the medical school itself did not participate in the strike for more than 2 days, the rest of the campuses of this state school were shut down for about 2 months. Due to the strike, 10 of the 11 campuses of this university are currently on probation by the Middle States Association, for failing to grant degrees on time and failing to display leadership and governance during the strike. Federal financial aid is also in peril due to the cessation of academic offerings during the academic term. The strike has now ended, and all the campuses are reapplying to financial aid, but the atmosphere between student movement leaders and administrators is still quite tense, and the probation is still in place. While the med school is not on probation of any kind, my parents are concerned about the general stability of the school and its future credibility due to the effects of the strike.

In addition to the strike there are two other reasons my parents want me to reapply (though the strike was def the instigator):
1)I only completed applications to my state school and thus had no other options when it came to decide on where to matriculate. My parents use this argument because they say they want me to "have choices" about where to go to school.
2) I was a very good student in hs and was accepted at all the highest ranked universities in the country. Although they may not admit it, I think they would prefer for me to go to a med school with more prestige and recognition, because it would benefit my future career.

I do not have major issues with going to my state med school. The prestige does bother me a bit and I am somewhat worried about the destabilizing effects of the strike, but I think I can learn a lot and have some very interesting and unique experiences at my home institution. I have spoken at length with current students and administrators, including the dean of the medical school, who have consistently reaffirmed that the med school does not get involved with striking and that it is committed to carry on with the medical school academic schedule.

My parents want me to matriculate at my state school as a first-year and simultaneously complete applications for medical school at other universities, "just in case". I personally do not want to do this because I do not want the "stress" of applying and just want to move on and enjoy life for now, but my parents are putting a lot of pressure on me.

I am wondering if anyone on this site can offer any advice or has been in a similar situation as me, or can point me to resources or places where I could find more information on what my options would be in such a scenario.

That is certainly an interesting scenario. There is something I want to point out, both for you and your parents:

What medical school you go to will NOT decide your career.

What will do so are your USMLE scores and your rotations and the subsequent reviews of your performance in them. If you are interested in research, then yes, a top tier school would be best for you. If not, then it does not matter.

If your school was not and will not be involved in any strike, and you are happy with it, then stay there. You will get the same education no matter what.

Just my two cents.

Hi guys,

I have decided to post on this forum because I wanted some advice on a highly unorthodox course of action that my parents are encouraging me to do. Some background on me: 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, good research and extracurriculars, good recommendations, underrepresented minority, first-tier undergrad institution. Was accepted into my state school for medical school and decided to matriculate. In the latter part of the second semester of this year, my state university found itself in the middle of a massive student strike that lasted a total of 62 days. While the medical school itself did not participate in the strike for more than 2 days, the rest of the campuses of this state school were shut down for about 2 months. Due to the strike, 10 of the 11 campuses of this university are currently on probation by the Middle States Association, for failing to grant degrees on time and failing to display leadership and governance during the strike. Federal financial aid is also in peril due to the cessation of academic offerings during the academic term. The strike has now ended, and all the campuses are reapplying to financial aid, but the atmosphere between student movement leaders and administrators is still quite tense, and the probation is still in place. While the med school is not on probation of any kind, my parents are concerned about the general stability of the school and its future credibility due to the effects of the strike.

In addition to the strike there are two other reasons my parents want me to reapply (though the strike was def the instigator):
1)I only completed applications to my state school and thus had no other options when it came to decide on where to matriculate. My parents use this argument because they say they want me to "have choices" about where to go to school.
2) I was a very good student in hs and was accepted at all the highest ranked universities in the country. Although they may not admit it, I think they would prefer for me to go to a med school with more prestige and recognition, because it would benefit my future career.

I do not have major issues with going to my state med school. The prestige does bother me a bit and I am somewhat worried about the destabilizing effects of the strike, but I think I can learn a lot and have some very interesting and unique experiences at my home institution. I have spoken at length with current students and administrators, including the dean of the medical school, who have consistently reaffirmed that the med school does not get involved with striking and that it is committed to carry on with the medical school academic schedule.

My parents want me to matriculate at my state school as a first-year and simultaneously complete applications for medical school at other universities, "just in case". I personally do not want to do this because I do not want the "stress" of applying and just want to move on and enjoy life for now, but my parents are putting a lot of pressure on me.

I am wondering if anyone on this site can offer any advice or has been in a similar situation as me, or can point me to resources or places where I could find more information on what my options would be in such a scenario.

One time, I was seriously in traffic for like, an hour... and it was horrible. There was this hawk that would hang out by the freeway and on some days you could catch it perched on it's favorite branch.

I wish that hawk was around more often.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't undergrad: transferring med schools is neither that common nor is it that easy. First, not all schools accept transfer students. Second, schools accept transfer students when enrolled students drop-out; med schools do not set aside a few seats in a class for transfer students. Considering that the attrition rates for med schools are very, very low, that means that at any given point, there are only handful of spots that you could transfer into. Of the schools that do accept transfers and do have openings, some will only accept transfers after MSI, MSII, or both. Finally, you need a good reason to transfer. Wanting to attend a more prestigious school isn't going to work. Acceptable grounds for transferring are that your spouse is a student or resident at the school you want to transfer to, or one of your parents is ill, and you need to be closer to them

Agreed with the above. Most schools will only allow you to transfer if there's room in the class (i.e., someone dropped out) and only after the third year. AND only with extenuating circumstances. Many schools simply don't accept transfers.

Applying AND being a medical student at the same time seems like a bad idea. I think you should do one or the other, not both. Understand that applying after you've already been accepted will still be stigmatizing, even if you get the chance to explain your situation. I would consider it compelling, but some adcoms may see that you were accepted/matriculated to a school and simply throw your app out at that point.

Best of luck. I'm not at all envious of your situation.

As a current matriculated medical student you can not just apply to medical schools again. Transfers between medical schools happen, but are rare and are done for reasons such as family illness and to be closer to a spouse. Wanting to go to a more prestigious school is NOT and acceptable reason. A transfer is worked out between the dean of your medical school and the dean of another school with an opening. There are few openings as very few med students fail or drop out of school.

If you choose to not matriculate and apply again to more prestigous schools you will most likely be facing a losing battle. You may have been a very good student in HS, but your gpa of 3.5 and MCAT of 30 are average to below average. Additionally, you would be required to report your previous acceptance to a medical school. Explaining why you chose not to matriculate would be difficult. Again, "prestige" is not an accepatable reason.

Go to med school and work hard. That is what determines your future career. USMLE scores, LORs, research, and grades are what counts. Turning down an acceptance is what will kill your career.

Just to be clear, the main reason this is even being considered is the issue of the student strike and the potential destabilization caused by the rest of the campuses being on probation. Prestige is only a minor reason.

It shouldn't be a reason at all, IMO.

Regardless, a transfer or re-application to medical school is probably not going to happen. The above posts have more than explained the reason(s) why.

Are you talking about PR? Don't think that qualifies as a state...

Just to be clear, the main reason this is even being considered is the issue of the student strike and the potential destabilization caused by the rest of the campuses being on probation. Prestige is only a minor reason.

Medical schools are generally very separate from undergraduate colleges they are affiliated with. They have a different administration and receive different funding. Should the undergrad schools fold, the medical school would either change it's affiliation or become a stand-alone school. Since the med school did not participate in the strike for any length of time, I don't think you have much to worry about.

How many students are in your school? How many first years? Are any of them planning to abort mission? Are all of them? If they all are, then there's something to think about, as mob mentality is a big motivating factor. Otherwise, I would think that a heart-to-heart with the schools' officials could alleviate some of your fears. And I would think that the majority of your classmates sticking around should give you an idea that there's something worth sticking around for.

On the parent thing: I respect parents, I love parents, but one day they'll be dead and you'll be wondering what they think you should do. Only they won't be there and you'll have to live life for yourself. Cut the cords. Be firm with them. If you're fine with where you are, and are willing to make the best of the situation, then let them know that. If you're not fine with what's going on, then yes, re-apply. How will things turn out? That's yet to be seen. :luck: