Reapplying: AMCAS X's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAspursfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I applied last year AMCAS really hit me hard with the X's, most of which were administered for failing to designate courses as "Repeat" the first time I took them (still don't understand that, but I guess I should have read the directions more closely). Anyways, the corrections seem to have carried over to my 2008 application, but I'm wondering if I still need to re-enter the data just to be safe. Anyone have any experience with this? The AMCAS website says "To avoid receiving an "X" for the same course again, we recommend that you re-enter such courses as they were corrected by AMCAS last year" but like I said it appears they have already done that for me, and I'd like to avoid further tampering if possible... what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied last year AMCAS really hit me hard with the X's, most of which were administered for failing to designate courses as "Repeat" the first time I took them (still don't understand that, but I guess I should have read the directions more closely). Anyways, the corrections seem to have carried over to my 2008 application, but I'm wondering if I still need to re-enter the data just to be safe. Anyone have any experience with this? The AMCAS website says "To avoid receiving an "X" for the same course again, we recommend that you re-enter such courses as they were corrected by AMCAS last year" but like I said it appears they have already done that for me, and I'd like to avoid further tampering if possible... what do you all think?

Sorry, I'm not sure I can offer any advice on your situation, but I am applying for the first time this cycle. So, I have one class that I took three years before I took the exact same class again...it was basically for re-learning purposes...because i got an A both times, but am I supposed to designate the first one as repeated? THanks.

I believe when I did it the second time around, I just left all the old classwork. I checked to make sure it was entered the same way it appeared on the first AMCAS, and just left it at that.

Members don't see this ad :)
SAspursfan, it used to be that you couldn't copy your AMCAS application from the previous year, i.e. you had to retype the 2008 application over again (a real pain for those of us who filled out the 2006 application in advance to get a head start on 2007). Has it changed this year allowing you to copy a previous application? or are you possibly looking at last year's application?

SAspursfan, it used to be that you couldn't copy your AMCAS application from the previous year, i.e. you had to retype the 2008 application over again (a real pain for those of us who filled out the 2006 application in advance to get a head start on 2007). Has it changed this year allowing you to copy a previous application? or are you possibly looking at last year's application?

I applied in during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 years. I didn't have to retype all my info. Maybe if you never actually submitted it then you would have to. But I had all my stuff still on the application, even my old PS. But maybe because you never hit submit, you had to reenter it.

It's changed; my app from last year came up so I didn't really have to change a thing except my yet to be typed personal statement and my senior classes.

Sorry, I'm not sure I can offer any advice on your situation, but I am applying for the first time this cycle. So, I have one class that I took three years before I took the exact same class again...it was basically for re-learning purposes...because i got an A both times, but am I supposed to designate the first one as repeated? THanks.

To my knowledge, you would still designate both as repeats.

I applied in during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 years. I didn't have to retype all my info. Maybe if you never actually submitted it then you would have to. But I had all my stuff still on the application, even my old PS. But maybe because you never hit submit, you had to reenter it.

I think you're totally right, I never hit that submit button. it makes sense because AMCAS would have already reviewed and verified portions, if not the majority, of your previous year's application.

Good to know, thanks :thumbup:

No, this is definately the 2008 Application, and it appears they have left all the corrections they made to my 2007 application. So I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and leave them as is, despite what the AMCAS FAQ said...