Reapplying and Retaking MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaturdayDwarf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone reapplied for med school and taken the August MCAT? I am thinking of doing that because I don't have time to study for the April exam. I was just curious if most schools will wait until my August MCAT scores are released or if it's possible I would get interview invites before October. My April MCAT score from last year is 28 (10B, 9P, 9V, Writing: P), and I have a mediocre gpa. I know my score will be better if I wait to take it, I just don't know if I should apply to the next cycle or wait for fall 2008 admission.

Also, as long as you are complete by the time your August scores are released does it matter how long you take to complete secondaries? And would schools that I am reapplying to mind if I reuse my same personal statement and essay questions (They were all well written, and I am sure that is not the reason I wasn't admitted.)

Members don't see this ad.

HI, that is what I did. I reapplied after taking an August MCAT, then retook the next August MCAT. And depending on which schools you apply to, the August MCAT is either a disadvantage or not - just depends on the individual school's policies for marking your application complete. If you do end up taking the August MCAT, you should already have your AMCAS sent to the schools, which makes it a gamble - because you may feel like I did that some schools are a reach without that solid score. But if you wait until scores are released in mid-October, you won't be getting a spot for most of the rolling-admissions schools. They're already be filling up.

I did get one interview from a school that didn't wait for my new MCAT - but my first MCAT wasn't bad. I just retook because I had completed some physics courses which I thought would improve my score. Every other school it seems put my application on hold until the scores were released anyway. But I have a couple acceptances.. so you CAN do it. I have 6 interviews so far this year out of 13 secondaries, I withdrew from some... But if you can possibly do it, take the April, it makes life so much easier - and you get in front of the line rather than the crowded back of it.

And I completely rewrote my application. After speaking with some adcoms about reapplicants, many do compare the two applications to see what has changed. If the don't see much besides an MCAT score, they may not think it worth reconsidering. Anyway, good luck. :luck:

SaturdayDwarf said:
Has anyone reapplied for med school and taken the August MCAT? I am thinking of doing that because I don't have time to study for the April exam. I was just curious if most schools will wait until my August MCAT scores are released or if it's possible I would get interview invites before October. My April MCAT score from last year is 28 (10B, 9P, 9V, Writing: P), and I have a mediocre gpa. I know my score will be better if I wait to take it, I just don't know if I should apply to the next cycle or wait for fall 2008 admission.

Also, as long as you are complete by the time your August scores are released does it matter how long you take to complete secondaries? And would schools that I am reapplying to mind if I reuse my same personal statement and essay questions (They were all well written, and I am sure that is not the reason I wasn't admitted.)

SaturdayDwarf said:

Great post. This is exactly what I am thinking too. I simply do not have time to re-take MCAT in April. I am also thinking about taking August MCAT. My score from April 05 is 27 O. I am thinking about taking a month off from work in July and fully devote my time for MCAT prep.

Some schools like ECU (East Carolina) do not give away final decisions until April. So, even if you interview in January, you have as good of a shot as someone who interviewed in September.

I hope I get into one of my state schools this year though. I am already 33, I want to finish med school before I become a grandpa!

Also, I would not use the same essay, Personal Statements etc. Best wishes.
S.