Reapplying and unsure of school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicobean

Reaction score
So I applied to what I considered was a wide range of schools, all MD, this past cycle and received two II and two waitlists but sadly neither has ended up in an acceptance. I already sent my primary app in to AMCAS ( added scribing, website creation, and tutoring to app and rewrote some activity descriptions and rewrote PS) and am stuck trying to decide on a good school list for myself.

sGPA: 3.71 cGPA: 3.76
Residence: Alabama
MCAT: 509 (126/126/126/131) taken 6/20

Research: 750 hours working in peripheral neuron regeneration lab during last 2 years of undergrad. I was coming close to getting a publication but COVID has set that back to no telling how long before that happens.

Clinical:
Scribing: 1200 hours, I have been scribing for two doctors at an orthopedic clinic (one interventional medicine and one surgeon)
Shadowing: 10 hours ( I know its low and I was in the middle of this experience when COVID hit and wasn't able to continue for awhile due to COVID restrictions, but am planning on increasing these hours throughout the cycle)
Clinical Volunteering @ Children's Healthcare of Atlanta: 30 hours (once again low due to having to stop when pandemic began)
Clinical Website Forum Admin/Content Creator: 150 hours (co-founded/created a website for those with particular illnesses to connect and find an online community during the pandemic)

Non-Clinical:
Tutoring: 50 hours
STEM class teacher for Saturday Enrichment course @ Elementary school: 40 hours (once again, had to bail once COVID shut it down)
Member of school volunteer organization: 30 hours of range of volunteer work

Other:
Member of Scholar Program at my undergrad university (Emory)
For race, I identify as white and Native American (Echota Cherokee to be more exact and do provide schools with tribal roll number when asked)
Letters of Rec are strong and come from head of Emory's undergraduate Neuroscience Department, a professor in the Emory Nell Hodgson School of Nursing, my lab PI who teaches the cadaver lab at Emory Med, and both doctors that I scribe for.

Last cycle I was put on waitlist to interview at Tulane and interviewed at both George Washington and University of South Alabama. I was told by USA that my movement to accepted was hopeful but the waitlist movement was significantly decreased compared to expectations so neither waitlist has panned over to an A.

I already put USA, UAB, and George Washington on my AMCAS primary and want to choose schools with a realistic expectation this go around and am planning on applying DO to ACOM, Edward V-Com in Auburn and am still trying to come up with a DO list as well.

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these MD schools to your application:
Tulane
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Creighton
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
NYIT (both schools)
CUSOM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY

It seems to me that you should be able to get an acceptance based on what you have put here, and certainly plenty of truly qualified applicants don't get in during their first cycle. Just in case, though, you may be interested in looking into this: Wy'east Pathway — NNACoE. Just sharing in case you are not aware of it as an option.