Reapplying. Did my numbers improve enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lmcarroll20

Murphstain
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a Texas resident that applied a little late in the cycle last year (closer to the end of the summer).

Last year I applied with these numbers:
mcat: 30Q
GPA: 3.55
BCPM: 3.44

This year I will apply with these:
GPA: 3.69
BCPM: 3.58

Have I substantially increased my chances, given I apply
as early as possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Is your application qualitatively better?

So I'm a Texas resident that applied a little late in the cycle last year (closer to the end of the summer).

Last year I applied with these numbers:
GPA: 3.55
BCPM: 3.44

This year I will apply with these:
GPA: 3.69
BCPM: 3.58

Have I substantially increased my chances, given I apply
as early as possible?

I have had several leadership positions in college, I belong
to a service organization through which I have had a substantial amount of community service. During my year off I have been accepted to a program called community health corps and might be teaching part time for Princeton review, ochem. I've also had an average amount of shadowing and volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you reworked your PS and made sure your LORs were good or gotten new ones?

Your numbers look good for this time around. Just make sure that you also have some good ECs, volunteering, and some clinical experience too. While your stats are very important, adcoms really look for well rounded applicants too. Best of luck to you for the next cycle.

You accomplished a very nice degree of GPA improvement. Well done.

Would you mind detailing the clinical experience and shadowing? Your "average" may not be what we'd consider average. These are the two most important activities for Texas school applications. Did you continue some form of clinical exposure in the last seven months? If not, I'd do a quick augmentation, and I'd keep doing it through the next cycle, for the sake of update letters and interview conversations.

I am currently revising my PS and am confident that it is already better than last year's. I've also been meeting with the head of our pre-health department who has told me he will make sure my committee packet endorses me well. My LOR's should be good, I have some prof's I'm very close to who I expect will write good things about me. As for shadowing and volunteering, I've done it here and there whenever I can beginning sophomore year. I'm also in a class right now that allows me to shadow 2-3 hours a week with different specialties. And finally, with my job as a Health Corps member I will be positioned in a physicians clinic where I will constantly have patient interaction and will end up logging 1700 hours in about 11 months.

Health Corps does not start until September, and I cannot wait until then to apply. I may, however, volunteer with them over the summer in order to be able to talk about it more in interviews. I think applying late last year really hurt me, so I don't want to take any chances.

Health Corps does not start until September, and I cannot wait until then to apply. I may, however, volunteer with them over the summer in order to be able to talk about it more in interviews. I think applying late last year really hurt me, so I don't want to take any chances.

Yeah, I'd apply as early as possible.

So I cannot mention the Health Corps program anywhere in my application?

I don't know exactly how the TMDSAS works, but here's my opinion.

Definitely apply early. You improved your GPA well enough.

If you can't list future events, then mention about Health Corps in your personal statement. It demonstrates your commitment to service. Or mention it in the secondary apps you receive. Mentioning it will only help you, if you're sure you'll do it. Good luck!

But applying early is definitely the key to vastly improve your chances! assuming Texas schools have rolling admissions.

Kind of creepy...what difference does it make?

Probably some kid whose a little too friendly. Anyways, I think your GPA/MCAT are pretty much in line with the average stats at schools like Tech, A&M, UTSA and maybe UTMB.

Assuming you've got all the volunteering, clinical experience, etc...

I am currently revising my PS and am confident that it is already better than last year's. I've also been meeting with the head of our pre-health department who has told me he will make sure my committee packet endorses me well. My LOR's should be good, I have some prof's I'm very close to who I expect will write good things about me. As for shadowing and volunteering, I've done it here and there whenever I can beginning sophomore year. I'm also in a class right now that allows me to shadow 2-3 hours a week with different specialties. And finally, with my job as a Health Corps member I will be positioned in a physicians clinic where I will constantly have patient interaction and will end up logging 1700 hours in about 11 months.

With all of this and your GPA improvement, you have a good shot this cycle.

Probably some kid whose a little too friendly. Anyways, I think your GPA/MCAT are pretty much in line with the average stats at schools like Tech, A&M, UTSA and maybe UTMB.

Assuming you've got all the volunteering, clinical experience, etc...

UTHSCSA just put up the stats for this year's incoming students: 3.6 GPA 31 MCAT. Chances are the numbers are similar for the other above listed Texas schools as well.

Well I figured I would update everyone. I started this thread a while back, and I figured some anxious applicants or reapplicants would be encouraged by this.

The first time around, I did everything wrong. I waited and waited and waited, and I half *****ed my application.

This time around, I did everything right and so far I have interviewed at 5 out of the 7 schools in Texas that I applied to. I even got an interview at a private school OOS.

I have interviewed at UTHSCSA, TT-El Paso, TT-Lubbock, UT-Houston, and Texas A&M. I never expected to hear anything from UTSouthwestern, so really I will reach my goal when I hear back from UTMB (hopefully).

I hope some of you are encouraged by this. I did not even retake the MCAT before reapplying, so just know that it CAN be done a second time around. If anybody has questions about how I drastically improved the quality of my application and increased my interviews by 600% from last year, let me know. I would love to help!

Cheers

HealthCorps is SO GOLDEN for interviews....and I honestly think that it was a big factor in being chosen very early in the season for interviews. It really was the best thing I could have done for my application and gap year, not to mention I like what I'm doing. People mistake me for a Dr several times a day! :)