Reapplying even though on waitlist... HELP

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 1st Rain Drop, Jun 20, 2002.

1. 1st Rain Drop

1st Rain Drop Sugarsnap Pea Snapper

I am currently on waitlists that do not seem to be moving and want to reapply early in case I don't get in this year. Does anyone know whether AMCAS will issue a refund for the application fee if one is accepted somewhere and later withdraws their primary application? Anyone on waitinglists and thinking about reapplying? Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Joe Joe on da Radio

Resident [Any Field]
    i'm in the same situation as you are and am planning on submitting my application in the next few days. you should designate 1 school right now and add more later when you know you will not matriculate. you'll save money in case you do get accepted. hope that helps!

4. 1st Rain Drop

Thanks Joe Joe, that's great advice. When do you think would be a good time to designate other schools? August is too late isn't it? What if we don't hear from any of them until a week before school starts? I wonder if AMCAS will refund our money then.

5. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    im in the same situation guys. you know what i did though? i called up the schools and basically told them that i had amcas 2003 ready to be submitted. then i said "knowing what you know, do you advise me to submit?" which is a slick way of asking it i think cause it worked. they told me to wait and not submit yet. try it yourselves and see what the schools tell you. make sure to ask in a tactful way though. good luck!

6. Joe Joe on da Radio

Resident [Any Field]
    i don't think amcas will refund our money. the fee goes to the work that they do to certify/process our applications. anyhow, i'm planning on designating more schools in august if the unfortunate need were to arise. it's not early, but not late from what i've heard. also, make sure you have an additional LOR ready to go since many schools require re-applicants to send a new LOR.

7. Joe Joe on da Radio

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by @imtiaz:
    <strong>im in the same situation guys. you know what i did though? i called up the schools and basically told them that i had amcas 2003 ready to be submitted. then i said "knowing what you know, do you advise me to submit?" which is a slick way of asking it i think cause it worked. they told me to wait and not submit yet. try it yourselves and see what the schools tell you. make sure to ask in a tactful way though. good luck!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">nice one! who did you talk to specifically? the dean of admissions? or just an admission's officer?

8. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    i talked to one of the deans of admisisons, yes. do it in a slick way though or else they might take it as a "threat". you want to project the image that youre the submissive one in need of their expert advice, etc etc. dont make it seem like youre saying "let me in or ill submit!"

9. willy

willy Senior Member

I am on NYMC waitlist. Today, I submitted my 2003 app and 720 dollars. I figured, what the hay. I need a year off anyhow.

10. 1st Rain Drop

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by @imtiaz:
    <strong>im in the same situation guys. you know what i did though? i called up the schools and basically told them that i had amcas 2003 ready to be submitted. then i said "knowing what you know, do you advise me to submit?" which is a slick way of asking it i think cause it worked. they told me to wait and not submit yet. try it yourselves and see what the schools tell you. make sure to ask in a tactful way though. good luck!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you @imtiaz. I spoke with the folks at my top choice and mentioned I was about to submit next years application since their movement has been so slow. Last year my file wasn't complete until October because I took the August MCAT and also because I was still doing graduate work up until July. Basically my AMCAS application wasn't submitted until the end of September, my application wasn't complete until mid-October, and though I was surprised to have got any interviews at all, I ended up interviewing late in February and March. I was also put on-hold for interviews at four schools, but those didn't work out in my favor. Anyhow, I don't want to deal with the disadvantages of applying late again next year so I've already completed filling out the 2003 application (easy to do when you have one from 2002). But then the admissions lady told me to hold on for a while longer before thinking about reapplying. On that note she also mentioned where I was listed on the waitlist which, though it made me extremely hopeful, confused the [email protected]#$ out of me because now I'm not sure what to do. This phase of the application process is based mostly on chance. There are no guarantees that any number of people will be dropping their acceptances. I very well may end up being next on their list after they've already drawn the final line. Good grief. On the other hand, we have the end of June and all of July to keep our hopes alive so perhaps I'll hold off on reapplying for another two weeks. Good luck you guys, and thank you for all the feedback. I hope it works out well for you all.

11. 1st Rain Drop

By the way, two years ago a friend of mine withdrew her primary application after getting her MCAT scores back and AMCAS issued her a full refund. I'm not sure how and where in the process she did that, but my guess is they had not processed her application yet.