Reapplying for the match in EM. Concern about funding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDIII

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally applied EM. I went into the match with only one SLOE. This was because I could not get an away rotation any sooner. I failed to match and SOAP'ed into a different specialty. I really tried to make it work. I like the program and the people are great. The specialty just isn't for me. I feel like I belong in EM and I am going to reapply. I will have the 2 SLOEs this time, the PD letter, and another from an attending at my current program. Step 1 was average, step 2 was bad because of family issues, and I've passed step 3. If I don't try to match with a complete application, I am going to regret it later in life.
I will only have 2 years of the GME funding left. EM programs are usually 3 years. In a specialty as popular as EM, does anyone have any experience with programs disqualifying you for the 1 year discrepancy in funding? Is there some type of list that would help me focus my app? I will be applying to at least 100 programs. I've read that bigger centers might be fine while community hospitals might exclude my application. I keep seeing anecdotes of people having no trouble in other specialties and some getting outright rejected. I would like a opinions or anecdotes about emergency medicine specifically. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.