Reapplying.. How can I improve my Apps.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

714guy

counting down till 5/2012
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to need to reapply this year. I thought my stats this cycle would at least have getten me in somewhere, but I was not fortunate enough. Can you suggest how I can improve my application w/out doing a masters program?
-----------------
My Stats this cycle:

submitted app: late august

Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.7

I did undergrad at CSUF in computer science. Then took all my prequistes at a CC getting all As.

DAT:20/21/21

I thought my personal statment was awesome. I know that LORs were great b/c I TAed for all the teachers and was a top student.

I shadowed 90hours, volunteered at a dental clinic, did lots of volunteer work in general with other organizations.

I TAed for Anatomy & phsyiology and general chemisty, and tutored in Organic chemisty.
--------------

I think submitting my apps so late really affected me this cycle, this next cycle my app is going in the first day for sure. Also I am planning to retake the DATs since my scores seem so average.

Any and all suggestion appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't retake the DAT since those are solid scores which will be really hard to out do. Did you get any interviews last cycle? The only problem I can see is that your science background may need some improvement. I wouldn't work on a masters, however, just some upper-level undergrad courses.

I wouldn't retake the DAT since those are solid scores which will be really hard to out do. Did you get any interviews last cycle? The only problem I can see is that your science background may need some improvement. I wouldn't work on a masters, however, just some upper-level undergrad courses.

I only got 1 interview.. maybe I will try to so some research this summer at a university and look into some science classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only got 1 interview.. maybe I will try to so some research this summer at a university and look into some science classes.

Your scores look really good to me. I'm not sure why you didn't get accepted anywhere. Applying in Aug isn't that late either.

I'm in a similar boat... I have about the same DAT scores and I don't think I'm going to retake it and risk them going down or just staying the same. I'm delaying my graduation and taking more upper division hard science classes; however, not every college and every school will allow you to do this, so you'll have to talk to an advisor. I also applied in august and interviewed before December, but I feel like applying earlier and getting an earlier interview would have also helped. I also plan on applying to 13 schools next year instead of the 6 I applied to last year.

dont retake the DAT, your scores are fine. from what info you gave the only thing i can see is your low cumulative GPA. try to bring that up by taking upper level sciences at a 4 yr university.

The only reason I can think of you dident get in is because all of your science classes are from a CC.

And your cum is a 3.1 but science a 3.7 hum I cant help but think to myself could not hack it at a four year institution in hard general sciences. But thats just how it looks seeing as your Science GPA is generated off of the classes you only took at a CC....

I cant help but ask why dident you take G chem, Ochem, Bio, and Physics at your four year institution?

Id take BioChem at a four year institution, microbio, and mabye cell physiology. That ought to help offset the way that looks...

Any way your stats look great otherwise but I think a cum GPA of 3.1 from your main school and then a science of 3.7 from a CC just raises a red flag....

Just a guess though who knows...

I am in a VERY similar boat as you (except you have finished all you pre-dental requirements)

I graduated in 04 (B.S in Computer Science and a minors in Math).
I have been working as a software developer for some time now and just about 8 months ago, I decided to go into medicine (dentistry was the route).

In my undergrad, my Over all GPA was 3.01 (very similar to yours) and right now, I need to finish taking my pre-dental req (Gen Chem I &II, Biolo I & II, and Orgo I & II)

I'll be ready to apply for 2009 cycle HOWEVER, by time I apply, my over all GPA is still going to be low (maybe bairly touching 3.1) but I am expecting my Science GPA to go well around 3.6+

I am kind of curious as to how many schools you applied too. I really really think you had a good shot of getting in...

Your DAT scores are great. I wouldn't re-take it. You risk the chance of your scores going down too!

Since you had great LORS and you applied in a fairly decent timeframe . . .

My guess would be that it's the sciences. Take some upper level division sciences. Not only will it improve your application, but it will also give you insight as to how you'll handle the sciences in dental school (of course those will be much harder/more concentrated!)

I think that the CC classes are hurting you. The schools want to see you post all A's in your sciences courses at a University level. That is just my opinion though.

i took all my prequiste after i graduated and to save money i took them at a CC instead of paying grad prices. Should i retake them all again at a university? I mean i know the stuff really well, but its just going to cost me alot $$$$ to retake them a university.

I am positive that I can improve my DAT scores, b/c when I was studying for them, my best friend had just past away a few months earlier, so my mind was not all quite there.

Thanks for all your suggestions. :)

Don't re-take classes (that would be a waste of money, besides you got A's in them!) Maybe take more upper level division sciences.

Or you could always just re-apply and see what happens. Your overall application isn't bad.

Why don't you call up some of the schools and see what their recommendations are? Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we think . . . it matters what the schools think.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in similar boat...

3.6 GPA, 3.5 SGPA... 22/22/18 DAT (first attempt 20/20/17).. NO ACCEPTANCES :scared:

weak points in my application...
- 3.1-3.2ish bio gpa (my math is a 4.0, chem and physics is a 3.7)
- 17 RC score
- D in a pre-req (retook and got an A)
- only 50 hrs of shadowing

strong points in my application...
- lecture TA, lab TA
- surgical experience
- research experience (resulted in an honors thesis)
- lots of leadership

i've had 3 interviews.... waitlisted at 2 of the schools and awaiting a reply from the 3rd. if i don't get in this cycle i plan on calling the schools and getting their input. most likely i will do a 1 year SMP to get my bio gpa up and do lots of volunteer work in a dental clinic. i'd really like to avoid taking my DAT again, as a 22 is a solid score (plus, i got a 20 on RC my first attempt, dunno how i managed a 17 the second time around).

i really thought i would get into at least one school. i'm astonished that i may have to reapply & put my dental career off by yet another year. but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, i guess :rolleyes:

best of luck,
jb!:)

i'm in similar boat...

3.6 GPA, 3.5 SGPA... 22/22/18 DAT (first attempt 20/20/17).. NO ACCEPTANCES :scared:

- 17 RC score

- lecture TA, lab TA
- surgical experience
- lots of leadership

i've had 3 interviews.... waitlisted at 2 of the schools and awaiting a reply from the 3rd. if i don't get in this cycle i plan on calling the schools and getting their input. most likely i will do a 1 year SMP to get my bio gpa up and do lots of volunteer work in a dental clinic. i'd really like to avoid taking my DAT again, as a 22 is a solid score (plus, i got a 20 on RC my first attempt, dunno how i managed a 17 the second time around).

i really thought i would get into at least one school. i'm astonished that i may have to reapply & put my dental career off by yet another year. but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, i guess :rolleyes:

best of luck,

JB!

I am also suprised that you have had no acceptances yet. I am pretty much in the same boat. (except that I am post-masters) 1 waitlist, waiting to hear from 2 schools I interviewed at. Which schools did you get waitlisted at?

You sound like a great candidate - best of luck to you!

I don't think taking a few classes at a university and getting As will improve you application by that much. But 2-6 more points on your DAT will surely make you stand out, so retake the DAT and crush it!! good luck.

It sounds crazy, but with a good application like yours, the best thing you can do is start networking. Use everyone you know in the business of dentistry and use their connections. Contact the schools you want to go to and even make a campus visit to let them see your face. With the competitive nature of getting into dental school now, applicants have to be proactive in marketing themselves. If not, you're just another name on an application. Play the game, don't let the game play you. Best of luck to you.

i'm in similar boat...

best of luck,

Someone with stats like JB and not getting in is scarry!!!..

714, I would retake the DAT since you are so sure that you will improve. I do think that the difference in your 4ycollege and cc grades is so large that as another poster stated- it raised a red flag! and if thats the case then the damage is done! retaking would be one of your best options..

In my oppinion getting your application turned in as early as possible i.e. May, June is the single most important part of the whole process. The reason being is I know of people who got in this year with 18's and 19's with average GPA's and the only thing thats sets them apart from other people is that they got their app in on May 15.

Good Luck

In my oppinion getting your application turned in as early as possible i.e. May, June is the single most important part of the whole process. The reason being is I know of people who got in this year with 18's and 19's with average GPA's and the only thing thats sets them apart from other people is that they got their app in on May 15.

Good Luck

i can think of far more important parts of your application (i.e. gpa, dat, experience, research) than hitting the submit button on May 15th.

i can think of far more important parts of your application (i.e. gpa, dat, experience, research) than hitting the submit button on May 15th.

Remember that this is from the guy who didn't get in.

Remember that this is from the guy who didn't get in.

that was a low blow, but i will take the high road & not respond to that comment. :)

just a FYI- i submitted my AADSAS on June 1st.......

best of luck,
jb!

First off, don't hate on Jack Josh!
Dang Jack I feel for ya man. That is really discouraging to hear that you can't get in with stats like that. I'm shocked that no school has shown you love. Keep your head up I'm sure an acceptance will come soon.

I agree that applying early is imperative. Late June submission seems on the late end of thing to me but everyone has their own opinion. I also agree with the idea of taking the upper level "suggested" courses at a four-year school in an effort to demonstrate ability to do the coursework. Alternatively, a MS program is a common way to demonstrate aptitude. I also suggest taking a second look at which schools you are applying to and why you are applying there. Obviously you'll want to apply to your state schools but as to why you are applying anywhere else - I suggest you should think about. For example, it seems like everyone on earth applies to Case, Marquette, Creighton, NYU, and or Nova. You really need to stand out in terms of DAT/GPA at these schools. At a minimum, I suggest applying somewhere far from home geographically and somewhere different culturally. For example, if you life in the northeast you could apply somewhere in the south.

im not sure if im on the right track here, but i think the courses you take seem to matter a lot. i have a 3.41 cgpa and 3.57 sgpa (with a 4.0 in all my pre req courses), dats of 22/21/17 and i have no acceptances, either. now, these are not stellar stats by any means, but I dont think theyre that bad. :p and i didnt even apply to the 'harder' schools, apart from upenn.
according to one of the predents on this board, my non sciences courses brought me down. i only have around 3 non science courses as of now, and ive heard most schools have an unofficial req of 5.
so, getting your courses in order would be an important thing for you to do. i would also recommend that you retake the dat, if youre sure that you can improve. :)

Acutally its the interview that counts the most unfortunetly....
I called my state school and they told me I didn't get in BECAUSE OF my LOW interview score. So if your interview is bad or so so, you will NOT get in... you need an EXCELLENT interview score to get in...
No this is not fair, b/c stats are more important but there is nothing we can do about this...
So go out and buy an interview book and READ IT if you want to be a better applicant.

First off, JB you're a great applicant and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Second, I think all things considered, EVERYTHING matters, there is not one thing that matters more, or can be omitted. If you lack in one department then you have to know that you have to really excel in something else to make up for it.

I think both of your have good enough grade and extracurricular... I know at my school when you summit your application plays a larger role than it should... The admissions committee likes early applicants because it shows a strong desire to getting accepted. They want people that are enthused about dentistry and for some reason they consider application date a factor.... I would also suggest applying to as many schools as possible, especially the ones in your state.... good luck guys...

Acutally its the interview that counts the most unfortunetly....
I called my state school and they told me I didn't get in BECAUSE OF my LOW interview score. So if your interview is bad or so so, you will NOT get in... you need an EXCELLENT interview score to get in...
No this is not fair, b/c stats are more important but there is nothing we can do about this...
So go out and buy an interview book and READ IT if you want to be a better applicant.

i dont think studying is the key to doing well at an interview, just be yourself. all of my interviews were just conversations, trying to prepare may make you seem like a robot. as a dentist you wont be reciting prepared responses to your patient's questions, why would you when you are interviewing? stats are important but communication skills are essential for success in dentistry.

Your application is practically perfect. Just apply early next cycle. Good luck!

PDG

i dont think studying is the key to doing well at an interview, just be yourself. all of my interviews were just conversations, trying to prepare may make you seem like a robot. as a dentist you wont be reciting prepared responses to your patient's questions, why would you when you are interviewing? stats are important but communication skills are essential for success in dentistry.

I agree with you in principle. You definitely do not want to overthink the interview and walk in juggling 500 memorized responses, because if you get nervous all 500 of those things are going to come crashing down on your head and trip you up. Not that I know this from personal experience in doing dental school interviews, but I have done many interviews for other things and tend to be nervous in those situations. Ive learned that if you overthink the conversations before they occur you are digging your own hole.

However......it would be foolish to walk in there totally unprepared. Think of stuff theyll ask and roll it around in your head in the weeks preceeding. Think of a response that is totally in your nature. That way you dont have to memorize what your reply would be, you are actually saying how you feel. Don't think of some complicated reply that just sounds really intelligent but you wont remember. This way you can avoid the deer in headlights look when they ask you a question that exposes a vulnerability of yours. Say they ask about why your first year of your undergrad experience was blemished with Ds and Fs and you almost got kicked out before you turned it around and got straight As from then on? If you reply honestly "Oh man, that was a WILD year dude! I had this CRAZY roommate and we would go to all these parties and stuff. See that F in Calc 2? Thats a funny story, see, day of the exam I woke up hungover but my roommate had superglued my nipples to the bathroom floor so I couldnt make it to the exam on time", you probably arent going to find an sympathetic interviewer. You need to think of an appropriate response that conveys the fact those days are in the past and you are a new person. So, some preparation is a good idea, just dont try thinking up lines that are fake and not the real you, or things will come crashing down.

DO NOT OVERPREPARE for interviews.

for my first interview i rehearsed the answers to the questions i knew they would ask.. come interview time, they asked the Q's, but when my answers didnt come out exactly as i planned i started fumbling and it was all downhill from there!!

my advice: just have a response (not verbatim!) for any weaknesses that you have in your application. any Ds or Fs?? place the blame on yourself & show how you learned from the experience. lack of dental experience?? point out some other valuable experience & how it relates to dentistry.

"that guy that didn't get in",

for my first interview i rehearsed the answers to the questions i knew they would ask.. come interview time, they asked the Q's, but when my answers didnt come out exactly as i planned i started fumbling and it was all downhill from there!!

my advice: just have a response (not verbatim!) for any weaknesses that you have in your application. any Ds or Fs?? place the blame on yourself & show how you learned from the experience. lack of dental experience?? point out some other valuable experience & how it relates to dentistry.

but take what i say w/ a grain of salt... because remember i'm "that guy that didn't get in"

i agree 100%. also, research the school and have thoughtful questions for the interviewer.

keep your head up JB your time will come.

I am kind of curious as to how many schools you applied too. I really really think you had a good shot of getting in...

I applied to 17 schools. All my state schools (5 in cali) and 12 others with lower stats and high out of state acceptance.

i'm in similar boat...

- 17 RC score

- lecture TA, lab TA
- surgical experience
- lots of leadership

best of luck,

Wow I can't believe you haven't been accepted yet. Those are awesome stats. JB will it be your 3rd time reapplying since you took the DAT twice already? just curious.

Best of luck to you JB. I hope you get a call late summer with an acceptance.

Your application is practically perfect. Just apply early next cycle. Good luck!

PDG

i agree...although it's not the most important thing to submit early, it really does help in getting interviews because the applicant pool is smaller

I think you diminished your chances by taking the science prereq's in a community college and not a four year college. This is easily spotted by dental schools and frowned upon.
Best,

dantheman2007

OMG, don't listen to that guy...I highly doubt his stats are any higher then yours. Your stats are high so ingore idiots!
You are right I need to come up with responses with my W in four classes. I never made anything below a B, but I have FOUR W on my transcript. :( I was a BS in Chemistry but changed to a BA b/c I LOATHE physical chemistry.... So I dropped PCHEM I and the Lab and I also dropped Calculus based Physics II TWICE (once my sophomore year and once my senior year...)!! (I took Calc base Physics I and algebra base Physics II) So what should I tell them?? I was thinking about telling them I was sick that semester lol... I don't know..:laugh:

"that guy that didn't get in",

Can you give me some examples of questions to ask the interviewer?? :D

i agree 100%. also, research the school and have thoughtful questions for the interviewer.

keep your head up JB your time will come.

Can you give me some examples of questions to ask the interviewer?? :D
I asked this at Case: "So, you guys must hate the Ravens?" and "Will the Browns ever be good?", but that was a chill interview so I asked that. At other places, I asked about opportunites the school provides for students (e.g. extra help, extracurriculars, athletics, research, reasons why I should pick their school) and how good the football team is. Or try to ask questions after you learn more about the school....

FYI for all of the re-applicants/ first time applicants:
I know that part of the reason I got an interview at NYU and at Tufts is because the dental community recognizes that there is a pending shortage of dental educators. I mentioned in my personal statement that I would like to teach in some capacity during my career (which is true) and backed that up with some TA experience. I remember that, specifically at the NYU interview, the director of admissions said that some of us were there because we expressed an interest in teaching and/or have TA experience. I think there will also be a shortage of dentists in the public health field.

So play those angles up if you can.

Jack Bauer- which school are you waiting to hear from? Good luck and good work on taking the high road - I would have tore him a new one...

Wow I can't believe you haven't been accepted yet. Those are awesome stats. JB will it be your 3rd time reapplying since you took the DAT twice already? just curious.

Best of luck to you JB. I hope you get a call late summer with an acceptance.

first time applying. took dat initially in august and again in january..

thanks for the kind words,

Hi

I am going to need to reapply this year. I thought my stats this cycle would at least have getten me in somewhere, but I was not fortunate enough. Can you suggest how I can improve my application w/out doing a masters program?
-----------------
My Stats this cycle:

submitted app: late august

Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.7

I did undergrad at CSUF in computer science. Then took all my prequistes at a CC getting all As.

DAT:20/21/21

I thought my personal statment was awesome. I know that LORs were great b/c I TAed for all the teachers and was a top student.

I shadowed 90hours, volunteered at a dental clinic, did lots of volunteer work in general with other organizations.

I TAed for Anatomy & phsyiology and general chemisty, and tutored in Organic chemisty.
--------------

I think submitting my apps so late really affected me this cycle, this next cycle my app is going in the first day for sure. Also I am planning to retake the DATs since my scores seem so average.

Any and all suggestion appreciated.

Thanks

I agree that it seems like your cumulative GPA is your weakest point. Perhaps taking some upper division courses that are really hard (and doing very well in them) may help; classes like Microbiology, Histology, Immunology, and and a year of biochemistry

I think you diminished your chances by taking the science prereq's in a community college and not a four year college. This is easily spotted by dental schools and frowned upon.
Best,

dantheman2007
That wouldn't be fair cuz some people can not take daytime classes but only available night classes due to full time job.