Reapplying- MCAT Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am still waiting to hear from a couple schools but I am planning on reapplying for the next cycle. My current stats are; cGPA 3.3 sGPA 2.8 MCAT 21O. I had great essays and a ton of extracurriculars, volunteer, patient contact etc. I got an interview this cycle but was not accepted. I think an MCAT retake is a must for me. I took the Kaplan course last time and it obviously did not work very well for me. Does anyone have any good tips or study materials/programs that worked well for them? Also any tips on reapplying in general?

Also, I know my sGPA is low, I am still in undergrad currently so I can not retake classes right now. I can retake some over the summer but the grades would not be submitted until September. Would you recommend this or should I get a job in the medical field and volunteer instead?

Members don't see this ad.

I am still waiting to hear from a couple schools but I am planning on reapplying for the next cycle. My current stats are; cGPA 3.3 sGPA 2.8 MCAT 21O. I had great essays and a ton of extracurriculars, volunteer, patient contact etc. I got an interview this cycle but was not accepted. I think an MCAT retake is a must for me. I took the Kaplan course last time and it obviously did not work very well for me. Does anyone have any good tips or study materials/programs that worked well for them? Also any tips on reapplying in general?

Also, I know my sGPA is low, I am still in undergrad currently so I can not retake classes right now. I can retake some over the summer but the grades would not be submitted until September. Would you recommend this or should I get a job in the medical field and volunteer instead?

I am going to be a little blunt there. Did you apply to MDs? With a 3.3/2.8 and a 21 MCAT, even DOs are going to be nearly impossible. That 2.8sGPA is VERY low (as in screen-out low), and that 21 MCAT is arguably worse than that GPA. So two of the most important factors in your application are unacceptably low. To be honest, I am surprised that you even received one interview.

ECs are very important, and it's good that you have a ton. But with stats like that, you are very unlikely to receive any good news. So before you even think about reapplying, do whatever you can to raise your sGPA and obviously your MCAT score. Your cGPA of 3.3 is decent enough, provided you can offer a competitive sGPA and MCAT score.

Before you get your sGPA and MCAT numbers up, don't think about reapplying. You can get there, but it'll take a lot of work and a realistic perspective.

And just to let you know, I am a very optimistic/encouraging person on SDN (much more so than most), but your current situation puts you in a very disadvantaged situation.

Thanks for the input! and Yes I am realistic, I know my stats are low. I just applied to a couple schools this cycle to see what happened because I didn't have time to retake my MCAT at the time. I was happy to get an interview, even though I wasn't accepted it was good practice for next time!

I know I need to retake the MCAT and thats what my plan is as of now- I am just curious as to what study materials people have found work well because what I did last cycle didn't work for me.

Thanks!

Kaplan books for content is complete garbage IMO. Try something else like TBR or TPRH. Ensure you spend the majority of your time doing passages and post-gaming.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
From a purely objective standpoint, you really need to reevaluate your academic record. A 2.8 science GPA makes me question your scientific aptitude. Also, a 21 on the MCAT is really bad. You might consider taking a year off after you graduate and then retaking the core science curriculum.

Thanks for the input! and Yes I am realistic, I know my stats are low. I just applied to a couple schools this cycle to see what happened because I didn't have time to retake my MCAT at the time. I was happy to get an interview, even though I wasn't accepted it was good practice for next time!

I know I need to retake the MCAT and thats what my plan is as of now- I am just curious as to what study materials people have found work well because what I did last cycle didn't work for me.

Thanks!

this wasn't a smart move. you shouldn't have applied until your application is as competitive as your can make it. the mentality of "taking the MCAT once as a test run" and "applying once just to have a 'good practice'" is not productive in this endeavor.

but the fact that you still received an interview with a 2.8 and 21 do say a lot about the non-numerical aspects of your application. it seems that your ECs and essays are particularly strong and unique.

i echo the previous poster's advice of taking some time off in order to build up your academic credentials.

this wasn't a smart move. you shouldn't have applied until your application is as competitive as your can make it. the mentality of "taking the MCAT once as a test run" and "applying once just to have a 'good practice'" is not productive in this endeavor.

but the fact that you still received an interview with a 2.8 and 21 do say a lot about the non-numerical aspects of your application. it seems that your ECs and essays are particularly strong and unique.

i echo the previous poster's advice of taking some time off in order to build up your academic credentials.

Thanks for advice!

I did not take the MCAT as a test run. I spent 1K on Kaplan materials and studied very hard, I obviously just didn't study the right way. I was not saying I applied as practice- I was looking at the positives of having an interview under my belt even though I was not accepted. I don't need you to reprimand my "moves"- I AM trying to improve my credentials, hence retaking the MCAT, hence the post inquiring about study tips.

I did not take the MCAT as a test run. I spent 1K on Kaplan materials and studied very hard, I obviously just didn't study the right way. I was not saying I applied as practice- I was looking at the positives of having an interview under my belt even though I was not accepted. I don't need you to reprimand my "moves"- I AM trying to improve my credentials, hence retaking the MCAT, hence the post inquiring about study tips.

You misunderstand. Your GPA and MCAT score are indicative of a larger problem which is that you have not learned the science very well. It isn't a question of studying harder for the exam or using a better review book.