Reapplying MD and/or apply DO first time? Advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUAlumn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member to student doctor although I browse through the forums all the time. I have a question and was hoping for some advice, especially if anyone has been in the same boat before.

Starting with info about myself:

Chemistry (BS) @ Michigan State University
GPA: 3.58 overall, 3.50 Science
MCAT: First time - 22P (8 PS, 6 VR, 8 BS) Second time - 23O (11 PS, 6 VR, 6 BS)
EC: Been published in 3 articles for physics research. Have been doing physics and chemistry research for 2 years now. Received EMT-Basic license last year. Over 200 hours of volunteer work in the ER. 70 hours of clinical experience as an EMT. Shadowed MD and DO physicians. And a few other minor things such as dean's list etc.

So first thing is I am retaking the MCAT in april, my scores have dramatically gone up according to my practice exams (roughly around 28-30). So I will more than likely be applying with a higher score than the previous two.

I applied to about 12 MD schools last year, didn't receive even one interview (with my MCAT score, no surprise there). I do plan on reapplying this year but have a few questions about applying to DO schools. Will they know that I applied to MD last year but not DO and will that affect me significantly? With my numbers (and projected MCAT), what are my chances at both types of schools given the fact I have taken the MCAT three times? Also, I do plan on attending a DO school if I get in under certain circumstances. I am not technically applied as a backup. I didn't apply last year because of my lack of knowledge of the program. Basically, if I was to get into MSU's DO school, I would attend that over any MD school out of the state and would probably attend it over MSU's MD program as well. The only way I would not attend MSU's DO school is if I was to be accepted by Wayne or UofM. As far as being accepted into other DO schools, I would just weigh the options.

Sorry for the long post, if theres something else that I'm missing that would help someone in giving me some advice, please let me know. Thanks in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to about 12 MD schools last year, didn't receive even one interview (with my MCAT score, no surprise there). I do plan on reapplying this year but have a few questions about applying to DO schools. Will they know that I applied to MD last year but not DO and will that affect me significantly?

My first attempt, I applied to 12 schools and didn't get a single interview...so I know how you feel. I'm currently a medical student at a great DO school and I've been very happy with the program I'm in.

On to your questions...

They won't know unless you tell them. DO schools don't have access to either current or past AMCAS applications. You will, however, need to have a good answer to the question "Why do you want to be a DO?"

With my numbers (and projected MCAT), what are my chances at both types of schools given the fact I have taken the MCAT three times?

As you know, your MCAT score is going to be a significant hurdle. Unless you're able to score at least a 28 (preferably a 30+), it's going to be difficult to get an interview with 3 MCAT attempts. I would encourage you to dedicate yourself exclusively to MCAT study and DON'T take it unless you're absolutely confident you're ready to do your very best. (Also bear in mind that practice tests may not reflect what your actual score will be.) I was scoring 30-34 on practice tests and got a 28Q...both times I took it. Your home state MD and DO schools will be the most likely to see past 3 attempts if you do well this time. Newer DO schools might also be more willing to consider your application.

Also, I do plan on attending a DO school if I get in under certain circumstances. I am not technically applied as a backup. I didn't apply last year because of my lack of knowledge of the program. Basically, if I was to get into MSU's DO school, I would attend that over any MD school out of the state and would probably attend it over MSU's MD program as well. The only way I would not attend MSU's DO school is if I was to be accepted by Wayne or UofM. As far as being accepted into other DO schools, I would just weigh the options.

Whether you're applying as a back-up or not, it's important to keep in mind that applicants to DO schools are just as competative as applicants to MD schools. In choosing schools to apply to, be sure you have realistic goals. Be selective and look at the stats of the matriculants at each program. When you interview, see what kind of "vibe" you get at each school. Can you see yourself fitting into the community, the University, etc? I interviewed at a school that pretty much sneered at any applicant that didn't score over 30 on the MCAT.:eyebrow: I wouldn't want to go to a school that doesn't view me as a valuble member of the class and the school.

I wish you all the best:luck:

I was scoring 30-34 on practice tests and got a 28Q...both times I took it. Your home state MD and DO schools will be the most likely to see past 3 attempts if you do well this time. Newer DO schools might also be more willing to consider your application.

I interviewed at a school that pretty much sneered at any applicant that didn't score over 30 on the MCAT.:eyebrow:

Eugh, I'm sort of in the same boat right about now after seeing my MCAT score (2nd attempt). And I was consistently scoring in the 30+ range, so it was surprising and disheartening.

Good lord. Then why bother inviting that person for an interview? Fortunately I've gotten heat at job interviews and during graduate school, but aw man! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
As you know, your MCAT score is going to be a significant hurdle. Unless you're able to score at least a 28 (preferably a 30+), it's going to be difficult to get an interview with 3 MCAT attempts. I would encourage you to dedicate yourself exclusively to MCAT study and DON'T take it unless you're absolutely confident you're ready to do your very best. (Also bear in mind that practice tests may not reflect what your actual score will be.) I was scoring 30-34 on practice tests and got a 28Q...both times I took it. Your home state MD and DO schools will be the most likely to see past 3 attempts if you do well this time. Newer DO schools might also be more willing to consider your application.

Well the first two times I took it, my practice tests were pretty much dead on with what I got, so I'm hoping thats the case this time as well. Also, I have been told that most schools like the fact someone is willing to take it three times, as long as the scores are improving of courrse, because it shows perseverance rather than someone just scoring a 27-28 the first time around and just saying "ok thats good enough." But either way, thanks for the advice! :)

I think if you've taken the test two times already, then it becomes a bit more important to score better the third time. After all, another low score makes them think that is all you can manage. The rest of your application sounds pretty good, so this test is going to be super important for you. You really need to study, particularly for the biology and verbal reasoning parts. In my experience, the essay can also be easily studied for...you need to learn to write it the way the graders want it to be. In your situation, I would be taking a formal MCAT prep course. It would be worth the money, definitely, particularly if you could get into a more affordable state school, versus being forced to go to an expensive private DO school or Caribbean school, which may fleece you. Don't lose sight of your goal.
The DO schools won't know you applied before, since they don't directly communicate with the MD schools. Any school you apply to just wants to hear a sincere reason why you want to go there. You seem to really have reasons why you like the Michigan DO school, and I'm sure they'll be receptive to hearing those. It sounds like you've already honed in on schools you'd like to attend, but you really need to get over this MCAT hurdle. Don't put the card before the horse.

I think if you've taken the test two times already, then it becomes a bit more important to score better the third time. After all, another low score makes them think that is all you can manage. The rest of your application sounds pretty good, so this test is going to be super important for you. You really need to study, particularly for the biology and verbal reasoning parts. In my experience, the essay can also be easily studied for...you need to learn to write it the way the graders want it to be. In your situation, I would be taking a formal MCAT prep course. It would be worth the money, definitely, particularly if you could get into a more affordable state school, versus being forced to go to an expensive private DO school or Caribbean school, which may fleece you. Don't lose sight of your goal.
The DO schools won't know you applied before, since they don't directly communicate with the MD schools. Any school you apply to just wants to hear a sincere reason why you want to go there. You seem to really have reasons why you like the Michigan DO school, and I'm sure they'll be receptive to hearing those. It sounds like you've already honed in on schools you'd like to attend, but you really need to get over this MCAT hurdle. Don't put the card before the horse.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

I asked the medical school I will be attending in the fall what I could specifically do to strengthen my candidacy. It revolved around my GPA--that I knew. They gave me specific courses they like to see people take that are in my situation. I ended up taking graduate level immunology, neurophysiology, and pharmacology classes. I dedicated myself to it, got all As for 3 quarters, which I feel directly led to my admittance.

I think asking them what they would like to see is key. Many schools are not shy about helping you. But, at the same time, you have to do the work to really shine.

Good luck.

You have any idea of the specialty you want to pursue? If you want to do primary care then DO is not a big deal but if not...