Reapplying or attending not fully accredited school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get some opinion about my situation. I already got accepted to one school which is not fully accredited yet and I am still waiting to hear back from my state school (which is my first choice) after interviewing with them almost two months ago. So my question if I don’t get into my state school, should I go ahead and attend a very expensive and not fully accredited school or work as a pharmacy technician for a year and reapply next year for my state school. Thank you for your time and your feedbacks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to get some opinion about my situation. I already got accepted to one school which is not fully accredited yet and I am still waiting to hear back from my state school (which is my first choice) after interviewing with them almost two months ago. So my question if I don’t get into my state school, should I go ahead and attend a very expensive and not fully accredited school or work as a pharmacy technician for a year and reapply next year for my state school. Thank you for your time and your feedbacks.
It depends on what you think of the school. The school I got into has Candidate status and should be fully accredited after they graduate their first class after this semester. I trust this school because they have an overall good reputation, the support from pharmacists of the area, good faculty and seem to be really committed to helping students. If personally you do not feel that the school is committed to your education then you probably shouldn't go there.

Personally, I would reapply to your state school or other fully accredited schools for the following application cycle.

But if you are looking at it strictly from a cost perspective, then you have to consider the opportunity cost (i knew that econ class would come in handy!) of being able to start working a year earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol you should be fine if the school is not fully accredited. People get too freaked out for no reason. if the school is only in its 1st or 2nd or 3rd year of course its not going to be fully accredited it needs to have a graduating class. I'd say go to the school and don't waste a year of your life for that 0.001% chance that it does not get fully accredited after 4 years.

I don't understand why you applied to an unaccredited school if you don't want to attend. You just wasted some moo-lah.

Reapply next year, for sure.

Ya, but what if you reapply and don’t get accepted next year. Then you may end up going to the not fully accredited school, and be a year behind, or sit out another year.

It’s a tough choice

Ya, but what if you reapply and don’t get accepted next year. Then you may end up going to the not fully accredited school, and be a year behind, or sit out another year.

It’s a tough choice

OP can make his stats better in one year and will most likely have an even better chance. Forget the unaccredited program. You really want to go to the other school anyway.

OP can make his stats better in one year and will most likely have an even better chance. Forget the unaccredited program. You really want to go to the other school anyway.

Ya good point.

I think there has been no school that has been rejected accreditation after receiving candidacy status. So you should be fine. I think it just depends on whether you feel you will make it to your top choice second time around.

One more thing...not sure what your ultimate career goal is, but I stopped into the resdiency forum and two different people (who are interviewers I guess) have said they didn't consider Candidate status schools. You might want to check out that forum...just a thought.

I don't understand why there is so much speculation for unaccreditited schools. Someone has to go first! I'm in your same position and got accepted to D'youville in buffalo. Honestly I was extremely impressed with the school and the new building they put up as well as the faculty and the commitment to succeed and have feedback from the students to make a great program.

In my case it is actually cheaper to go to the private pre-canidate school then it is to go the public state school. I think in the end it is your choice but I feel that if the new school has a lot to offer then you have nothing to lose by going. You can just start sooner then later and I know with me and my loans mounting I can't afford to wait another year to go!

I think everyone has speculations about new schools but at some point the school everyone wi attending was new at some point too and I don't think it's any kind of risk to go. Someone has to be the pioneering class and as far as I know (and I researched) no school has never achieved full accreditation. You and the school have too much time and money on the line for it to not happen!

One more thing...not sure what your ultimate career goal is, but I stopped into the resdiency forum and two different people (who are interviewers I guess) have said they didn't consider Candidate status schools. You might want to check out that forum...just a thought.

This doesn't really make sense b/c anybody who plans to go do a residency will have graduated from an accredited school? Say you are the very first class to enter the school, once you graduate, the school is accredited. So it's literally impossible for residencies to bring in students from unaccredited schools. Can you please elaborate?