Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

reapplying questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Hook17, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Hook17

Hook17 Senior Member

x

#1 Hook17, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd revamp it a bit... discuss plans for this coming year and how you anticipated going to school. Might as well put it in... by the time you get secondaries you'll know if you're in or not.

It may even help if you apply again to your waitlisted schools. They'll see that your interested.

4. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, looking at your MDapps... broaden your application list. It seems like you have hat it takes GPA and MCAT wise to get in.

5. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER

Medical Student
    Yeah. I think if you applied to more schools, you'd be doing yourself a favor.

6. Hook17

Hook17 Senior Member

x

#5 Hook17, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  7. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    What I'd do:

If you're applying ED. Get your act together ASAP. ED Applications require early processing, at both AMCAS and the school's end. You should contact the Dean of Admissions at the school and see if it would be worth your effort to apply ED at this point.

Either way, I'd revamp your PS. It helps to see something new. You don't have to change your message, but try to be a little more creative. Now isn't the time to be lazy.

Get your Transcripts in ASAP.

If you don't do ED, apply more broadly, but with your stats, you could probably keep it around 10-15 schools. If you do apply ED and fail, you should bump that up to 20, b/c you'll be hitting the tail end of the application cycle and looking at a lot fewer spots.

8. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I would try to talk to a dean or assistant dean at your desired school. Generally, reapplicants are looked at and handled a bit differently (expected to show substantial improvement over the prior cycle, etc.), and so what should have worked last round might not work as well now -- so you could be creating a problem for yourself shooting out substantially the same application. Your ECs may need some improvement (hard to tell from your MDApplicants profile), and of course things like PS, Interview and LORs can sometimes present hurdles to even the best stat people. The fact that you didn't get in somewhere should make one nervous about using the same materials -- Applying a year too early and to too few schools probably hurt you last cycle, but unless you have a sit down with a dean or two, you are guessing. Don't go by consensus.

9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise

Medical Student
    Three things I'd recommend:

1. Apply to more schools

2. Work on PS (mention any new experiences, activities, or possibly mention how being a re-applicant affected your decision to apply)

3. I agree with Law....it might be in your best interest to ask interviewers and pinpoint last year's problem.

Best of luck,
    -Dr. P.

10. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    i know you from ramallah...we went to highschool together;)

11. WildTumor

WildTumor Senior Member

Medical Student
    Apply to more schools. Personally, I would change the PS a little to reflect why this year you are a better candidate than last year.
    Gluck
    --WT