Dr.TobiasFünke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd revamp it a bit... discuss plans for this coming year and how you anticipated going to school. Might as well put it in... by the time you get secondaries you'll know if you're in or not.

It may even help if you apply again to your waitlisted schools. They'll see that your interested.

About the Ads

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Yeah. I think if you applied to more schools, you'd be doing yourself a favor.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
What I'd do:

If you're applying ED. Get your act together ASAP. ED Applications require early processing, at both AMCAS and the school's end. You should contact the Dean of Admissions at the school and see if it would be worth your effort to apply ED at this point.

Either way, I'd revamp your PS. It helps to see something new. You don't have to change your message, but try to be a little more creative. Now isn't the time to be lazy.

Get your Transcripts in ASAP.

If you don't do ED, apply more broadly, but with your stats, you could probably keep it around 10-15 schools. If you do apply ED and fail, you should bump that up to 20, b/c you'll be hitting the tail end of the application cycle and looking at a lot fewer spots.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hook17 said:
Im still waitlisted a few places but its time to submit the new app. Do i have to overhaul my entire ps? Not much has changed in a few months, I have the same reasons for applying just an extra activity or 2. What things should i do differently on my app.> Consensus seems to be I was not accepted because I didnt have a degree yet. Basically is it okay to be lazy. Also, Im applying ED to one of the places i was wl, any thoughts.
I would try to talk to a dean or assistant dean at your desired school. Generally, reapplicants are looked at and handled a bit differently (expected to show substantial improvement over the prior cycle, etc.), and so what should have worked last round might not work as well now -- so you could be creating a problem for yourself shooting out substantially the same application. Your ECs may need some improvement (hard to tell from your MDApplicants profile), and of course things like PS, Interview and LORs can sometimes present hurdles to even the best stat people. The fact that you didn't get in somewhere should make one nervous about using the same materials -- Applying a year too early and to too few schools probably hurt you last cycle, but unless you have a sit down with a dean or two, you are guessing. Don't go by consensus.

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
Hook17 said:
Im still waitlisted a few places but its time to submit the new app. Do i have to overhaul my entire ps? Not much has changed in a few months, I have the same reasons for applying just an extra activity or 2. What things should i do differently on my app.> Consensus seems to be I was not accepted because I didnt have a degree yet. Basically is it okay to be lazy. Also, Im applying ED to one of the places i was wl, any thoughts.
Three things I'd recommend:

1. Apply to more schools

2. Work on PS (mention any new experiences, activities, or possibly mention how being a re-applicant affected your decision to apply)

3. I agree with Law....it might be in your best interest to ask interviewers and pinpoint last year's problem.

Best of luck,
-Dr. P.

WildTumor

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Apply to more schools. Personally, I would change the PS a little to reflect why this year you are a better candidate than last year.
Gluck
--WT

About the Ads