Reapplying the following cycle, change app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chanjkhee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am in a bit of a reapplying conundrum that is probably common during this time of the year...

My app is strong.

GPA 3.6 overall at UC Berkeley, a biology and art major, 34Q on MCAT, have research, clinical and hospital experience, and some volunteer interests to ice the cake.

In fact I got that comment from the 2 interviews I got and waitlisted for. However, my downfall was that I was not very diligent in my secondaries, turning them in VERY late and losing a chance at acceptance which both schools kindly told me and has made me think that this is why I did not get more interviews.

I am going to reapply but do not have much to add to my application. I worked as an EMT for 9 months but just recently got let go so I am unemployed at the moment. And unsure of whether I should apply for a real job because I might still get into med school (still toying with the idea of working at Starbucks or something).

So, two questions... 1) Should I change my original app/personal statement much? I like my personal statement and can't really think of changing it much so is it alright to leave it unchanged? and 2) What should I be doing right now? I feel a little...stuck to say the least. Should I just turn in a app at my local Starbucks? I guess I'm just worried about what I will have to say I have been doing with my time (besides writing very long posts on SDN).

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are strong so this time apply early, and update your app as much as you can. To schools, you're reapplying to, you do need to say how you've improved.

If you aimed too high last time (a common mistake), make sure you have some safety schools. In the mean time, if you're not working, do some more volunteering, and keep the schools updated.

Hello! I am in a bit of a reapplying conundrum that is probably common during this time of the year...

My app is strong.

GPA 3.6 overall at UC Berkeley, a biology and art major, 34Q on MCAT, have research, clinical and hospital experience, and some volunteer interests to ice the cake.

In fact I got that comment from the 2 interviews I got and waitlisted for. However, my downfall was that I was not very diligent in my secondaries, turning them in VERY late and losing a chance at acceptance which both schools kindly told me and has made me think that this is why I did not get more interviews.

I am going to reapply but do not have much to add to my application. I worked as an EMT for 9 months but just recently got let go so I am unemployed at the moment. And unsure of whether I should apply for a real job because I might still get into med school (still toying with the idea of working at Starbucks or something).

So, two questions... 1) Should I change my original app/personal statement much? I like my personal statement and can't really think of changing it much so is it alright to leave it unchanged? and 2) What should I be doing right now? I feel a little...stuck to say the least. Should I just turn in a app at my local Starbucks? I guess I'm just worried about what I will have to say I have been doing with my time (besides writing very long posts on SDN).

Thanks! :D

I turned in my primary pretty close to the early June date like around June 22 I think? But the secondaries were pretty late. Like September and later. I got my job around that time so it was hard to get them in fast...