Reapplying to dental school; need advice/input.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Innadental15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I applied to dental schools last year in 2014 for the class of 2019. I took my DATs late (October 28th), and ended up submitting my application late (November 24th), but before the official deadline of December 1st. My GPA average is 3.72, and science GPA is 3.64. DAT scores: AA=22. TS=25. PAT=22. RC=19. QR=17. I applied to 6 schools, the 4 NY schools, Columbia, NYU, Stoney, and Buffalo, and 2 out state, CT + NJ. I got only 2 interviews; at NYU and Buffalo. Was accepted to NYU and got wait listed at Buffalo. For personal reasons, I had to decline the offer made by NYU.

I want to reapply now (as in submit my application by the end of the week). I personally feel that my original application and credentials were pretty good/decent, but I did not get more interviews, and got wait-listed at buffalo, because I applied very late in cycle (though before deadline). There are no changes in my academic resume (by the time I had first applied, I had already graduated undergrad) since last cycle. The only thing that has changed since last time, is the additional volunteer/assisting hours.

For those who have been through application process, or been through something similar, do you think I have any chance this year around? There is a section in the application that asks students that are reapplying, what has changed since last application cycle. How do i reply? Everything is pretty much the same....TIA!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't don't anything in the last year? Why are you barely thinking about submitted at this time? Shouldnt you have done it the day it opened if nothing has changed?

Reactions: 1 user
I personally went through the application process twice. Some advice I would give you in retrospect would be, make sure to get your LORs updated, and rewrite your personal statement (or at least tweak it some). Not doing both of those things looks very lazy on your part. I would also apply ASAP, like you are apparently planning to do. I think the increase in volunteering and assisting is enough to write a response to the "what has changed" question.
Thanks for the advice. For the LORs, do you mean have different professors from the ones that had originally given me recs? If you don't mind me asking, how'd it go the 2nd time around?

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally went through the application process twice. Some advice I would give you in retrospect would be, make sure to get your LORs updated, and rewrite your personal statement (or at least tweak it some). Not doing both of those things looks very lazy on your part. I would also apply ASAP, like you are apparently planning to do. I think the increase in volunteering and assisting is enough to write a response to the "what has changed" question.

Same boat! Had the same personal statement and one of the interviewers asked me why. Found out from one of the adcom's secretary I know that he spoke very derogativly about that when they discussed my app. I was honest when I told him I didn't change it because it explained why dentistry and that one of the most respected trustees and former law professor at my school told me it was one of the most well written personal statements he had read.

Hi guys! So I applied to dental schools last year in 2014 for the class of 2019. I took my DATs late (October 28th), and ended up submitting my application late (November 24th), but before the official deadline of December 1st. My GPA average is 3.72, and science GPA is 3.64. DAT scores: AA=22. TS=25. PAT=22. RC=19. QR=17. I applied to 6 schools, the 4 NY schools, Columbia, NYU, Stoney, and Buffalo, and 2 out state, CT + NJ. I got only 2 interviews; at NYU and Buffalo. Was accepted to NYU and got wait listed at Buffalo. For personal reasons, I had to decline the offer made by NYU.

I want to reapply now (as in submit my application by the end of the week). I personally feel that my original application and credentials were pretty good/decent, but I did not get more interviews, and got wait-listed at buffalo, because I applied very late in cycle (though before deadline). There are no changes in my academic resume (by the time I had first applied, I had already graduated undergrad) since last cycle. The only thing that has changed since last time, is the additional volunteer/assisting hours.

For those who have been through application process, or been through something similar, do you think I have any chance this year around? There is a section in the application that asks students that are reapplying, what has changed since last application cycle. How do i reply? Everything is pretty much the same....TIA!!!

Which schools would you apply too?

I would not have applied that late last year but water under the bridge. Yes, rewrite your PS. Even though the deadline is Dec 1st, keep in mind, schools send their first round acceptances on Dec 1st and then only interview to fill spots that may be open after that. As for the LOR's, depending on the dates on those letters, I would ask the profs to update the letter or at least submit again so it has a new date on the upload. If you can't get that done this week though, I'd submit without those to give yourself a better chance. Have you done anything to add to your application, more shadowing hours, taken any classes, worked this past year, anything?