• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

reapplying to med school

trying hard

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi - i have been very conflicted regarding my situation and would greatly appreciate some advice.
    i scored a 42 on the mcat (15phy/15biol/12verbal) and i have had great internships and research experience. I had an internship at MIT doing lung cancer research, i also had one at Harvard medical school doing breast cancer research, and i have done breast cancer research at my university for 3 years. I have also done a lot of community service and other activities. However, my GPA is about a 3.0 because during my college years i had to help raise my 3 younger siblings (7,5,and 2 years old) because my mom suffers from really bad depression. i drove home everyday from school (about 45 minutes each way) while holding a job as well. I began to apply to med schools this year, but i decided to withdraw my application at the last minute. I guess i do have a bit of an advantage in the fact that i am hispanic and people keep saying that will help me. However, i would like to know the honest opinion of someone who is not involved. Do i have a fair chance at getting into med school? if not, what should i do? Thank you so much for your help.

emgirl

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Mar 15, 2005
      Hi,

I think you definitely have a great shot- you should apply this year! Your MCAT is *phenomenal* and even if your gpa is around 3.0- that is not terrible, it's simply a little below average for matriculants (which I think is around 3.5, 3.6). That being said, I think your MCAT more than makes up for it on top of the fact that you have a good reason for a lower gpa, in that you were helping take care of family and not partying your way through college. I know that the whole URM issue gets people inflamed around here but I think that being Hispanic will help you in the app process because you bring diversity to a profession that is still overwhelmingly caucasian. I really think you should not withdraw your apps, apply to as many schools as you can, especially state ones and I think you will be just fine.

Good luck! Em

sumehra

Sumehra
      10+ Year Member
      Feb 1, 2006
      1. Pre-Medical
        I think there is an optional part of the AMCAS (i've never filled it out before so I am really not certain) for something along the lines of "disadvantaged student status" where you can explain your situation in an essay format (and maybe insert financial info also . . . ). You should look into that because med schools always want to hear the whole story, and your story seems to be a very valid one. ps congrats on the stellar MCAT score!

jwang

Jul 15, 2012
        1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
          I graduated in July 2016, applied about 20 med schools 2016-2017. My college GPA is 3.9, MCAT 35, 3 years clinical volunteer experiences, no shadowing experience. However, I got zero interview invite. I am eager to know what I did wrong, so that I can improve for next round application.

By the way, I was in a 7-year BS/DO program. But I opted out by graduating after 3 years undergraduate study. Does this have any effect on my application to other medical school?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.