Other OT-Related Information Reapplying to other OT schools after "voluntraily withdrawing"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusedandlostone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is now October and after much reflection and introspection( see my previous thread for my story of struggling at my former school), I have decided to keep on pursuing my dream of becoming an occupational therapy practitioner despite the unfortunate events that had occurred. I am determined to reach my goal somehow.......I have spoken to several friends and family, and they told me to keep pursuing my dream and do not settle for less. I am inviting everyone (especially anyone involved with admissions) on this forum for suggestions on how to gain admissions into another school despite withdrawing due to poor academic performance at my school prior. I have come to the conclusion that my program was just very difficult and extremely fast paced. I know for a fact that there are schools which are more lenient and forgiving to students. There was even a post somewhere on this forum about a student with a learning disability successfully transferring out after being dismissed, thus there has to be a way for students to regain admissions after leaving a program.

Here is what i did after leaving my program: I underwent an extensive evaluation process from a psychologist and I do indeed have a learning disability which i am positive effected my academic performance. I am in the process of getting a formal letter from the psychologist soon. Also I currently am working as a rehab aide part time( job was on and off during school) and had this job for almost a year.

Here is what I plan to do: I am planning to volunteer again( despite volunteering at virtually every setting possible for an OT) and to ask for new letters of recommendations from different references from my initial acceptance. I am positive I can ask some therapists at my job and who i am close with to write me letters. I really do not want to take the retake GREs but if needed i will do it.

Lastly, as a back up I am applying to COTA schools as well. I have a very strong feeling that it will obviously be easier for me to be accepted to a COTA program but if it is the only option for me out of this situation then so be it. I need to survive and get the ball rolling somehow.

What are your opinions on my plan?

Members don't see this ad.

I am glad that you are not giving up on your dreams! I am in a very similar situation. Would you consider contacting your old program? Good luck and please keep us updated.

Last edited:
It is now October and after much reflection and introspection( see my previous thread for my story of struggling at my former school), I have decided to keep on pursuing my dream of becoming an occupational therapy practitioner despite the unfortunate events that had occurred. I am determined to reach my goal somehow.......I have spoken to several friends and family, and they told me to keep pursuing my dream and do not settle for less. I am inviting everyone (especially anyone involved with admissions) on this forum for suggestions on how to gain admissions into another school despite withdrawing due to poor academic performance at my school prior. I have come to the conclusion that my program was just very difficult and extremely fast paced. I know for a fact that there are schools which are more lenient and forgiving to students. There was even a post somewhere on this forum about a student with a learning disability successfully transferring out after being dismissed, thus there has to be a way for students to regain admissions after leaving a program.

Here is what i did after leaving my program: I underwent an extensive evaluation process from a psychologist and I do indeed have a learning disability which i am positive effected my academic performance. I am in the process of getting a formal letter from the psychologist soon. Also I currently am working as a rehab aide part time( job was on and off during school) and had this job for almost a year.

Here is what I plan to do: I am planning to volunteer again( despite volunteering at virtually every setting possible for an OT) and to ask for new letters of recommendations from different references from my initial acceptance. I am positive I can ask some therapists at my job and who i am close with to write me letters. I really do not want to take the retake GREs but if needed i will do it.

Lastly, as a back up I am applying to COTA schools as well. I have a very strong feeling that it will obviously be easier for me to be accepted to a COTA program but if it is the only option for me out of this situation then so be it. I need to survive and get the ball rolling somehow.

What are your opinions on my plan?

Your plan is GREAT. Keep on Keepin' on, don't let that experience get you down. We live and we learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad that you are not giving up on your dreams! I am in a very similar situation. Would you consider contacting your old program? I think I left my program on okay terms and one of my professors actually offered to write me a letter of recommendation if I choose to apply to a different program. I imagine that a letter such as this may go a long ways. Good luck and please keep us updated.

I can only think of one professor who would probably write me a letter of recommendation, but that's good that your teacher actually offered to write one for you. I would take that chance immediately if i were you, because as you said, it shows that you left your program on good terms!

Please keep us posted. I am sure many people are watching your thread =)

Last edited:
UPDATE: some good news, I now have 2 occupational therapists who are willing to write a letter of recommendation for me! I am trying to contact a third reference: my clinical instructor for my level 1 setting, since she spoke highly of my hard work ethic during my midterm and final evaluation. I think my past CI would be very important since she is technically an academic reference and has personally seen my strengths and weaknesses during my fieldwork( the other 2 OTs are work references). I am now in the process of completing my OTCAS application. I honestly think the OTCAS application process is incredibly daunting. It is such a complex process, as I when I applied and was admitted 2 years ago I did not have to fill the OTCAS out. It is frustrating that most schools are now requiring applicants to fill out the OTCAS. Furthermore, although I have physical proof(copies of letters) of the various settings i have observed, the application requires the actual OT's email and most of the letters I have only state the OT's name and number. Additionally, these letters were from various semesters from my undergrad, ranging from 2009 to 2012. I am not sure if they are even relevant anymore. I am about half way done with the application and I am planning to hopefully complete it by the end of this month. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: 1 users
You may find this link helpful from an older conversation strand:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dismissal-from-mot-program.1050700/

Thanks for your reply OTgirl2014,

I've read and analyzed that thread extensively and tried to contact the person who successfully transferred out but it seems that she is currently inactive on this site. On another note, I am almost done with one of my OTA applications and have shifted gears to my OTCAS application. Hopefully will complete the OTCAS application by the end of this week.