Reapplying to residency after time off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CONFUZZLED_DOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my IM internship at a top program then took a one year leave to pursue some non-clinical health care interests in the non-profit/ policy world. I then withdrew from my original residency program completely.

I don't think I'm going to go back but if I did - does anyone know what the ACGME requirements are? I'm now 1.5 years out. Is there some expiration date for my Step 3 scores, etc? I've been told by acquaintances I have 3 more years but looking to verify that. (I've been careful in the interim to stay on top of my CME)

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my IM internship at a top program then took a one year leave to pursue some non-clinical health care interests in the non-profit/ policy world. I then withdrew from my original residency program completely.

I don't think I'm going to go back but if I did - does anyone know what the ACGME requirements are? I'm now 1.5 years out. Is there some expiration date for my Step 3 scores, etc? I've been told by acquaintances I have 3 more years but looking to verify that. (I've been careful in the interim to stay on top of my CME)
If you've passed all of the Steps, there's no expiration date on them. The issue will be your clinical knowledge and whether programs will be willing to take a chance on that. If you do decide to return, you're more than likely going to have to start over which will both suck and be generally easier. If you think you want to do this at all (and you should), do it sooner rather than later. Once you're 5 years out from graduation, your chances of finding another residency spot drop off precipitously.

Thanks GutOnc! Ive been looking around the ACGME site and generally on the web for confirming of this...Do you know if this an ACGME policy (or otherwise?)

I agree it'll be hard to come back. Trying to keep a toe in the water through taking on some free clinic shifts. Luckily perhaps if I do come back I'll certainly be applying for a IM/ primary care program and would be thrilled to join a community program (so perhaps it'll be a bit less competitive).

Thanks GutOnc! Ive been looking around the ACGME site and generally on the web for confirming of this...Do you know if this an ACGME policy (or otherwise?)

I agree it'll be hard to come back. Trying to keep a toe in the water through taking on some free clinic shifts. Luckily perhaps if I do come back I'll certainly be applying for a IM/ primary care program and would be thrilled to join a community program (so perhaps it'll be a bit less competitive).

Definitely get updated LoRs from the new preceptors to demonstrate your current knowledge level

There are no ACGME specific rules about length of time off during residency but many programs have site-specific rules. In general, programs that do have rules will not accept applications from individuals more than 5 years out from medical school graduation. Having some residency under your belt may help, but clinical skills and knowledge base do deteriorate with time and as gutonc notes above, you may be expected to start internship over again.

Your question has been asked multiple times on SDN and the conventional wisdom has always been that time off during residency to pursue non-medical interests should be short-term and will decrease your competitiveness as time goes by. Unfair or not, the assumption becomes that your skills have evaporated and that you will choose to leave *again*, leaving a program short a resident. Safer to take someone else without a track record of leaving residency.

I'm in the same position as you.

Last edited:
The "gap" between med school graduation/your last year of residency/internship and now is significant - always a red flag. Be prepared to explain what you were doing during that time. Unfortunately it's often enough for many programs to shy away from your app.