Reapplying to school after being waitlisted at said school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOsoon_2Be

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows whether people normally have any success at obtaining acceptances from schools they reapplied to after being wait listed in a previous cycle?

I emailed the admissions back in August or September of this year to ask for some feedback from my 16-17 app and they basically said the only thing that hindered me was the my low MCAT and they said it'd be best to get it up at least to 500 or higher (497 when I applied). I'm retaking in January but I was curious if it's at all common for adcoms to reward said improvements they suggested?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I was waitlisted twice at one school, once at another and got into both this cycle. I had extensive reinvention between applications and was basically a different person aside from a few experiences/activities from undergrad and my undergrad GPA.

I received application feedback from the school that waitlisted me twice the first time I applied there and addressed their suggestions (amongst beefing up other parts of my app), which seems to have pleased them.

It’s doable to gain an acceptance at a school you were previously waitlisted at, but I would expect your app to be under greater scrutiny, and I would keep in mind that schools are likely to compare your old and current apps, so don’t do anything boneheaded like fudging activity hours or changing your race lol.

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear it worked well for you. I agree, I also think I'm a much different applicant than I was a couple years ago. I really rushed the whole process and had no business applying when I did. I'm hoping to show as such when I apply this upcoming 19-20 cycle. The school I got wait listed to is my top choice so I'm hoping it works out well for me. We'll see!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who was waitlisted at a top 30 MD school last year and became accepted this cycle. I know they had a whole year of medical assistant hours when they applied the second time. Not sure if they did anything else to beef up their app

Reactions: 1 user
I was waitlisted at a school last cycle (2017-2018) and got an acceptance from that school this cycle. In the secondary app for the 2017-2018 cycle it asked “what would you do if you didn’t get accepted this cycle?” So I really focused on my response to that prompt and following through on those activities which included retaking the MCAT to get above a 500 (initially applied with a 498). And in the new secondary (2018-2019) it asked if you are a reapplicant, what have you done to make your app more competitive?”. During my re-app interview they asked me to expand on what I had done to become more competitive and compared this cycles app to the last one, so more scrutiny is totally true. It’s definitely doable!

Wow, that definitely sounds encouraging. Thanks for sharing that! I had the same issue with my MCAT the first time too. Just retook so hopefully it helps!