Reapplying to schools that: 1) I was waitlisted at/ withdrew from, and 2) I declined interviews to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liz9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I applied last cycle and received a few interview offers at a very wide range of schools: Duke, UCSF, GW, SUNY Downstate, NYMC.

My SUNY and NYMC interview invites came pretty late in the game. I was also being excessively picky, so I politely turned down both these interviews. I realize this was foolish to do without any word from my interviews at Duke/UCSF/GW. I ended up getting rejected from Duke, waitlisted at UCSF and GW. I ultimately withdrew from the GW waitlist, thinking I would rather re-apply than go there.

Now, I am regretting all of these decisions. This year, I am reapplying and wondering if I should re-apply to GW and SUNY Downstate. I would like to consider these schools again but if it seems like I will have zero of a second chance, I am prepared to cut them off my list.

Any feedback and help would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Come up with a completely different list. Your chances at the schools you declined are shot.

A classic example of hubris.:(

Thanks for your response. I just needed someone to tell me the hard truth.

Too bad, because I do think GW and SUNY Downstate could have been good schools for me. I spent way too much time around peers this past year who had all gotten into top 20 schools... now I'm wishing I could have thought my decisions through better....

Members don't see this ad :)
Come up with a completely different list. Your chances at the schools you declined are shot.

A classic example of hubris.:(
Agreed, you are most likely blacklisted at these places if you withdrew from them, but it is as it is...

What matters is that you learn and move on from this ordeal

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why you shouldn't reapply. If they liked you the first time, I don't see why they won't like you the second time. All you lose is a few bucks and some of your dignity. If you're blessed with the opportunity to interview and they bring it up, have a good reason that isn't what you're telling us here.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't see why you shouldn't reapply. If they liked you the first time, I don't see why they won't like you the second time. All you lose is a few bucks and some of your dignity. If you're blessed with the opportunity to interview and they bring it up, have a good reason that isn't what you're telling us here.

To be fair, the first time this person applied they didn't have a history of making the conscious decision that the school wasn't good enough

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you for your response.

I am indeed tempted to just add them to my AMCAS list and pay the fees. I do have the last year's secondaries to go off. I feel like at least with GW, my chances could be the same if not a little better due to my extra gap year? They seem to add a lot of their interviewees to the alternate list, so I wonder if they do screen reapplicants out.

To be fair, the first time this person applied they didn't have a history of making the conscious decision that the school wasn't good enough

Yes I know, but that doesn't mean she has to tell them that. There are other possible reasons for declining an interview

Thank you for your response.

I am indeed tempted to just add them to my AMCAS list and pay the fees. I do have the last year's secondaries to go off. I feel like at least with GW, my chances could be the same if not a little better due to my extra gap year? They seem to add a lot of their interviewees to the alternate list, so I wonder if they do screen reapplicants out.

No that's just because they want you to send them a love letter

Let this be a lesson. Just because you interviewed at Duke and UCSF you started feeling like a baller and ended up with nothing on hand. Chances at the schools you declined interview are gone.

Reactions: 3 users
Apply broadly and to a lot of new schools or kiss your dream goodbye. I know from personal experience on this matter. It sucks. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone for your time! I will take this advice to heart.

agree with apply to downstate again. if they liked you before, they will like you again. if they don't its an app fee but better than going to no med school. you have worked hard be in a position to get interviews at top schools. def apply more broadly. def shoot for the stars but dont take anything for granted until you have the acceptance in hand