REAPPLYING to UF, is acceptance likely?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosiered

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, pharmcas for the 2008 cycle opens June 1, 2007. I applied to UF this year, and didn't get in. Is it likely for reapplicants to get in their second time around? Does anyone know what are the statistics? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, pharmcas for the 2008 cycle opens June 1, 2007. I applied to UF this year, and didn't get in. Is it likely for reapplicants to get in their second time around? Does anyone know what are the statistics? Thank you.

If you were invited for the interview then you should apply for ED. Your stats must be competitive. Got nothing to lose but a couple of dollars. Apply early!!!!!!

I applied to UF two years ago and didnt get in. I retook a few courses, got some more pharmacy experience, and I just got in this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were invited for the interview then you should apply for ED. Your stats must be competitive. Got nothing to lose but a couple of dollars. Apply early!!!!!!

What is ED?

Early Decision. You submit your app sooner, so it's more like a first come first serve.

problem is they don't even look at your apps until Mid-late January. No matter when you turn them in. At least that's how it was 2 years ago. I spoke with someone on the acceptance committee and they said they all come together and look at them over the course of a few months in no specific order. Really they give you so many points per thing (GPA, PCAT, experience, LOR) and you have to meet so many points just to be considered. Then they evaluate the apps. I know many schools look at them early but UF isn't one of them. When I got in, I applied in mid-late January and received my accepted the first week in February. I really don't think it matters, if they see something they like and you meet their criteria then you're in.

I applied last year and got into Nova, PBA, and Mercer but rejected from UF because I took my PCAT in 2004 and didn't realize that UF only took newer scores until after it was too late to take the January PCAT. I figured since the first time I took it I got a 92 composite that I didn't even have to think about it. So that stupid mistake on my part caused me to not get in last year. I debated a lot about just going to one of the other schools but money was a huge factor and I had my heart set on UF. I actually planned on going to another school but backed out in mid august right before orientation and decided to take the year off and apply again. I gained some more experience and got into UF this year! So, I don't think that they hold this years application against you and would say do what you have to do and try again next year.

it cant hurt to try again. maybe try to improve something on your application to justify them looking at it again.. raise your PCATs, get more experience, etc... a few dollars for application fees is worth thousands of dollars and a dream come true in the long run, right? :)

Well if you improve your application then there probably is a better chance of getting in but if not then I would say you would not get it.

I would say give it a shot you have nothing to lose. I was in your boat last year decided to take the PCAT again increased the score and applied early for this year and got in.

For those of you that got into UF what were your credentials specifically?
Score on PCAT?
Cumulative GPA
Bach degree?
how many LORs and from who
Pharm exp
extracurric activities

don't be fool by school asking you to reapply...damn those zerox-admission of director's letter, they don't know shi(*t...they should get a doctorate on student's apathy instead hahaha...like i said, don't let those rejection letter asking you to reapply, they don't like you period, what is new on your application? they only want your money and keep pharmcas' in business...maybe i am wrong, but if you get rejected again and gain, then learn the hard way!! good-luck! i really feel for you...:luck:

My stats.........maybe not so great, but o well

PCAT: 75
GPA: Science 3.9
No Bachelors, just Associate's
2 LOR's and both from chemistry professors (1 organic and 1 inorganic)
No pharm. exp.
2 yrs tutor experience

Again my stats aren't so great. But its proof that u don't have to be a all around excellent student. Having said that, u need to be more well rounded meaning pharm exp., extracurric., and especially PCAT and GPA.

Good luck to u and those applying next cycle.

OHIO STATE = GATOR BAIT
GO GATORS

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats

Pre-req GPA (the way UF calculates it): 3.19
Overall GPA: 3.38
PCAT: 90%
2 years pharmacy experience
Volunteer experience in animal hospital, grad research, and clubs
BS in animal science
2 LOR from pharmacists (UF grads)

the first time i applied (and didnt get in) my stats were much worse. i had a higher pcat (94 but they added an essay and had to retake it), but my gpa was lower, i had crappy LOR's, no pharmacy experience, and hadn't quite finished my BS. I spent 2 years improving these things and it payed off, I got in.

blah blah blah

please get a paying job....because that's where "real" experience comes from, period
volunteer = bs

blah blah blah

please get a paying job....because that's where "real" experience comes from, period

Um, no? As long as you're knowledgeable about the field and have researched it thoroughly, you don't have to be a tech or a volunteer to make it in. You don't have to work several years in order to prove to the committee anything - if you're ready, you're ready now - and they'll see that. They'll recognize any research experience and value your future possible contributions to academia.

PCAT: 92
GPA: prereq on PharmCAS: 3.2
prereq as UF calculates it: 2.99
overall GPA: 3.5
AA degree
3 LOR from 2 pharmacists I worked with, and 1 from an honors advisor/writing prof
2.5 years pharm tech experience
extracurriculars: historian of the prepharm society, ethnic organization involvement, honors org., gay straight alliance

Submit your application as early as possible... they do start looking at them as soon as possible... this year they only had like 10 complete applications in November- it would be good for yours to be one of those so you get more time on the table! Hope is all goes well!

Submit your application as early as possible... they do start looking at them as soon as possible... this year they only had like 10 complete applications in November- it would be good for yours to be one of those so you get more time on the table! Hope is all goes well!

I'm pretty sure they had more than 10 complete in November. Perhaps 10 percent would be a good guess though. It can't hurt to get everything in early.

There's a girl who used to post on here that was rejected two years in a row. She had a decent GPA and PCAT, too. You need to look at your application and see why you weren't accepted.

Did you get an interview? If so, then maybe you need to brush up on interview skills.

If you did not get an interview, look at your GPA, PCAT and personal statement. Retake any classes that can raise your GPA. Retake the PCAT if it is below the 85th percentile. Have someone read your personal statement. I believe all of these things are more important than the date that you apply.

I think the best advice I can give is to make sure your GPA balances with ur PCAT. So if u have just a decent PCAT, make sure ur GPA is really good. And also make sure the rest of ur application is filled with extracurricular activities and experience shadowing a pharmacist. Good Luck!

My stats.........maybe not so great, but o well

PCAT: 75
GPA: Science 3.9
No Bachelors, just Associate's
2 LOR's and both from chemistry professors (1 organic and 1 inorganic)
No pharm. exp.
2 yrs tutor experience

Again my stats aren't so great. But its proof that u don't have to be a all around excellent student. Having said that, u need to be more well rounded meaning pharm exp., extracurric., and especially PCAT and GPA.

Good luck to u and those applying next cycle.

OHIO STATE = GATOR BAIT
GO GATORS

I was under the impression you needed one LOR from a pharmacist. :confused:

For those of you that got into UF what were your credentials specifically?
Score on PCAT?
Cumulative GPA
Bach degree?
how many LORs and from who
Pharm exp
extracurric activities

Score on PCAT = 92
Cumulative GPA = 4.0
Bach degree = no
how many LORs and from who = 2, VP of R&D for medical device manufacturer (my boss), and Bio professor
Pharm exp = no (I tailored my PS to match my experience...R&D)
extracurric activities = 7 yrs USMC/ Toys for Tots

I'm pretty sure they had more than 10 complete in November. Perhaps 10 percent would be a good guess though. It can't hurt to get everything in early.

No actually Dr. McKenzie told me personally they had 10 complete applications at that time. I was an officer in a club and he was the faculty advise so I spoke with him often.

I think a LOR from a pharmacist helps a lot. The pharmacists I work with told me that everyone they've written letters for were accepted. And a LOR from a pharmacist usually goes hand in hand with pharmacy work experience, which also helps.

No actually Dr. McKenzie told me personally they had 10 complete applications at that time. I was an officer in a club and he was the faculty advise so I spoke with him often.

That's cool. :) Mine was complete on 11/28. My stats are lower so maybe that's why I didn't get an interview invite earlier....but it is tomorrow! I really hope that I get in and I can actually participate in the UF discussions on here.