Quantcast

Reapplying - Worth it to retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bomgui

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So im sitting only on a waitlist from Stony Brook at the moment which means it looks like i might have to reapply. My question is if its worth it to retake the MCAT if i got a 30R (11bio 10 phy 9 verbal) the first time i took it. Looking at the averages of most schools, my current MCAT falls right at the avg.

Thanks for the feedback!

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you done anything else to improve your app since last year?

Reapplying with the same app and expecting different results usually doesn't work out too well.

If there are other areas that you improved, great. If not, replacing a 30 with a 35 will do a lot to help you out.

Easier said than done, but if you put in the work, it can be done.

Post some more info about the rest of your app if you want more specific advice.

tremulousNeedle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is hard to answer without knowing details about your situation. Basically, it all depends on what your downfall was: MCAT, timing, LORs, ECs, GPA, interviewing skills, didn't apply broadly enough, etc; you need to fix the specific problem.

Reapplying with the same app and expecting different results usually doesn't work out too well.

I agree, unless your only downfall was a late application or not applying broadly enough, but even then you should continue to add to your application.

Bomgui

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so break down:

GPA: 3.23 (overall)
Sci: 3.2

upward trend from 3.0 first 2 yrs to 3.6/3.7 last semesters

MCAT 30 (see above)

have volunteering/shadowing/research experience

I did submit my secondaries late last yr - in nov/dec

this past yr ive been working in a research lab and have 2 publications coming.

So what do you guys think?

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the gpa is the real problem, but that's much harder to fix.
I'd retake the MCAT (after prep and 33+ practice exams) and/or look into SMPs.

Another option is DO.

You might get into an MD school without much change in your app, but you are just not a very strong candidate.

tremulousNeedle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so break down:

GPA: 3.23 (overall)
Sci: 3.2

upward trend from 3.0 first 2 yrs to 3.6/3.7 last semesters

MCAT 30 (see above)

Your GPA is below average. You would benefit from increasing your numbers in some capacity, whether that be by increasing your GPA or scoring better on the MCAT. If you decide to retake the MCAT, you absolutely must score better than a 30 (at least a couple points better) and not decrease in any of the subsections. If you can guarantee this, then a reattempt might not be a bad idea to make up for your low GPA.

have volunteering/shadowing/research experience

I did submit my secondaries late last yr - in nov/dec

This is really late! My school filled up all but about 15 of their spots by the December interview dates. I understand that schools post deadlines in November or December, but you have to get these in ASAP to be in the best possible position.

Overall your GPA (below average) and MCAT (average), put you in that category of people who should be applying as early as possible (I cannot stress this enough).

this past yr ive been working in a research lab and have 2 publications coming.

So what do you guys think?

Are you thinking about reapplying this cycle because this is a pretty late time to have this discussion? If you try to taking the MCAT again, your application(s) will probably be late again, which is something you really need to avoid.

Bomgui

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i figured i could just reapply using my past mcat score on the application and submit it, then later on send the updated scores separately

I heard that if on the primary application i put that i am going to be taking an mcat it would delay my application until that test is graded. I was wondering if I could leave that blank and just put my old mcat and then later on (during the secondary phase) send in my new mcat scores thus preventing my application from being late.

could this work?