Rearranging furniture reassessing focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJackSparrow83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Not sure if anyone else has had this same experience, and how long this is going to last but when I started school i hated everything after a week in.

I rearranged the furniture, cut sugar out of my diet and started drinking sparkling water instead, and got myself a bean bag chair. And my focus has increased dramatically. I am eager to study, and can study for longer periods of time.
The only problem I have left is waking up early

Anyone else try a similar strategy? - regarding furniture to improve focus?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done this occasionally during years 1 and 2. It worked for me. Rearrange, clean it up, make your study space better. You're constantly in the same spot so a change in scenery once in a while tends to work well.

I'm married. You think I can rearrange the furniture at my every whim, much less own a beanbag chair?!

In seriousness, your recent barrage of posts are concerning. I think you need to talk to someone about realistic goals/expectations and then go after them. You will fail miserably and screw stuff up if you have no direction in your life. It doesn't look like you do right now. Time to take steps to fix it so you can be happy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm married. You think I can rearrange the furniture at my every whim, much less own a beanbag chair?!

In seriousness, your recent barrage of posts are concerning. I think you need to talk to someone about realistic goals/expectations and then go after them. You will fail miserably and screw stuff up if you have no direction in your life. It doesn't look like you do right now. Time to take steps to fix it so you can be happy.

the problem is I dont have anyone to talk to. My father doesn't want to hear a word about it, as far as hes concerned hes bought me a new car and paid tuition and I need to suck it up. The school counselor was an even more miserable one to speak with. She literally said "its odd you want to work in health care and cant manage the load"

the problem is I dont have anyone to talk to. My father doesn't want to hear a word about it, as far as hes concerned hes bought me a new car and paid tuition and I need to suck it up. The school counselor was an even more miserable one to speak with. She literally said "its odd you want to work in health care and cant manage the load"
Private/independent psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist. You have to find help. No one will just offer it unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
That costs money and I dont really have any of my own.
Tell your family that you feel it necessary in order to do your best in school and that it would be in their best interests to support that. Oh, maybe you should get out from under their thumb...

Tell your family that you feel it necessary in order to do your best in school and that it would be in their best interests to support that. Oh, maybe you should get out from under their thumb...

Nah that wouldnt be a wise decision. With them supporting my tuition, I can graduate with no debt, I just have to find a way to work around depression. This furniture thing is working, but I still am always nervous if I fail the upcoming exam.

Can you at least talk to your primary care doctor and see if you can get help for depression? I went this route when I was in college because the counselor I was talking to couldn't prescribe medication. Your primary care visit may be covered under insurance except a possible co-pay.

Med school only gets tougher and makes you more of a hermit the further along you go. Set yourself up for success now by seeking help early. Whether that means counseling (through school or via healthcare network) or meds, your future self with thank you. School and future practice will bring no shortage of exams, so preparing now will be in your best interest.

Reactions: 1 users
You are in the adjustment period of medical school. There is no way around it, medschool SUCKS. It gets better though. I am telling you right now that a good portion of your classmates feel the exact same way as you do but everyone is afraid to seem weak. Find classmates that you connect with and talk about things. In time it gets better, but just bottling stuff up is not good nor is it healthy. I had classmates crack under all of the stress and left school after the 1st semester. That is a possibility if you are not careful.

Reactions: 3 users

Counselors are completely useless. They don't know what we're going through and cannot even imagine the stress. They are only there to help people who are succeeding. I learned early on not to listen to any of the garbage they say. Forget them.

Counselors are completely useless. They don't know what we're going through and cannot even imagine the stress. They are only there to help people who are succeeding. I learned early on not to listen to any of the garbage they say. Forget them.

Find a Psychiatrist to talk to and I guarantee that they know what you’re going through ;)