Reason to defer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatchAdams25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
would having the opportunity to teach English abroad in Spain be a valid reason to defer for a year? I would love to improve Spanish and get the wanderlust out of my system before I start this journey.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I understand it will be school specific, but I was just wondering in general what adcoms thoughts on this would be
Just to emphasize; this is something you discuss with a school after you have taken an offer of acceptance and not during the admission process.

Yes I understand that. I have received several offers of admission and am pretty certain on the school I am going to attend. I just wanted a general idea of how adcoms would view this reason to defer. I am 100% sure I want to be a physician, but would love to get all the wanderlust out and experience something new before I start medical school

Deferments aren't granted all that frequently and usually are granted for one of two reasons: 1) competitive international scholarship awards (e.g. Marshall, Rhodes, Fulbright, etc.) or 2) overenrollment on part of the admissions team. Everybody wants to brag about having X number of Rhodes scholars in their school. In the latter case, you might even be able to land a hefty scholarship for deferring. Are you teaching as part of a Fulbright program?