Reasonable course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJinDaHouse

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey I’m thinking about takin physic 1 and lab with general chemistry 2 over the summer. That too much to take at once? Some my friends told me just to take phys

Members don't see this ad.

Only if you can get As. As matter more than speed through underdrad

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would not recommend taking two science courses at the same time over the summer because the pace is increased, and two science courses together may be pushing it unless you're a complete natural at physics, or chemistry. Maybe see if you could take physics in the first summer session, then Gen Chem 2 in the second session (If your school does that)?

Reactions: 1 user
I would not recommend taking two science courses at the same time over the summer because the pace is increased, and two science courses together may be pushing it unless you're a complete natural at physics, or chemistry. Maybe see if you could take physics in the first summer session, then Gen Chem 2 in the second session (If your school does that)?
That would be less difficult than taking them both at same time over the whole summer?

Hey I’m thinking about takin physic 1 and lab with general chemistry 2 over the summer. That too much to take at once? Some my friends told me just to take phys
I agree with your friends. But also, it depends on what else you'd be planning to do over the summer. If you wanted to add work, research, frequent volunteering, or having fun with friends, you will imperil your GPA.

@TJinDaHouse Are these the same friends who told you to change to another college because you would get an easy 4.0? Seems like they're the authority on this when it comes to all matters.

@TJinDaHouse Are these the same friends who told you to change to another college because you would get an easy 4.0? Seems like they're the authority on this when it comes to all matters.

That why I’m asking you guys to. I mean I respect them but y’all doctors so I like hearing y’all opinion. I don’t want to sacrifice my grades but I also don’t wanna waste a lot of time and money

I would recommend one of them over the summer. If you want to go at a faster pace, maybe take some other gen ed courses? I mean Gen Chem II should be doable but these classes have a lot of math. I think it's doable if you really put in the effort but I think you'd be better off taking ONE of them over the summer

Well I need to take phys if anything because that what I’m gonna be behind on. Unless I’m gonna take phys with organic

Chemistry takes the longest, since you also should take biochemistry.

When I took gen chem 1/2 with the labs during the summer it was 2 hours of lecture M-F, with M-Th having 3 hours of lab right after, so we were in classes 8-1 M-Th, 8-10 Fri. We had a test every week in lecture and quizzes and lab reports every day in lab. This was so we could cram 16 weeks of lecture and lab into a month.

In order to keep up with the pace of the material I would get out of class, eat lunch, and start studying. That would go until about 8pm every night, with breaks. I came out with As, but I ate, slept and breathed chemistry that summer. There’s no way I could have taken physics on top of that.

Chemistry takes the longest, since you also should take biochemistry.
Yeah but everybody telling me organic is mad hard. Shouldn’t I get physics out of the way before I get to it

Members don't see this ad :)
When I took gen chem 1/2 with the labs during the summer it was 2 hours of lecture M-F, with M-Th having 3 hours of lab right after, so we were in classes 8-1 M-Th, 8-10 Fri. We had a test every week in lecture and quizzes and lab reports every day in lab. This was so we could cram 16 weeks of lecture and lab into a month.

In order to keep up with the pace of the material I would get out of class, eat lunch, and start studying. That would go until about 8pm every night, with breaks. I came out with As, but I ate, slept and breathed chemistry that summer. There’s no way I could have taken physics on top of that.
But I’m taking chem 1 in spring, so it would just be chem 2 and lab.

Over two summer sessions or one? I just gave my example to show the course load over a summer session.
I have to see if they have options. Also is takin just organic 2 over a summer too much? That’s what I’m thinking for the summer after that

I have to see if they have options. Also is takin just organic 2 over a summer too much? That’s what I’m thinking for the summer after that
Honestly you should get through gen chem 1 during the regular semester and see how hard it is, then assume the same amount of work in 1/2 the time for gen chem 2 during the whole summer, or 1/4 of the time for one summer session.

If you take gen chem 1 in spring, and 2 in summer, you should take orgo 1 in fall and orgo 2 the next spring. Try to take all your chems back to back...they build on each other.

I look at people who take tough prerequisites over the summer with interest. Are they taking a difficult course during the summer so they can concentrate on that course only? I would rather see them take the course with a full class load. Our first semester of med school is around 34 credits i believe.

I look at people who take tough prerequisites over the summer with interest. Are they taking a difficult course during the summer so they can concentrate on that course only? I would rather see them take the course with a full class load. Our first semester of med school is around 34 credits i believe.
For me, I did it because I returned to college at 33 with 1 previous credit hour, and I was just trying to get through everything. I went 4 years straight, summers included, to get my bachelors. I started at community college, so when I transferred to a 4-yr during the summer, I was “behind” on my chemistry series, so I started there. The only other prereqs I took during summers were psych, sociology, and statistics. Everything else was taken in a full semester.

In hindsight I should have gone one more year, and not taken anything in the summer. I probably wouldn’t be doing a masters degree right now had I done it that way, but that’s ok. I’ve really enjoyed my masters coursework.

For me, I did it because I returned to college at 33 with 1 previous credit hour, and I was just trying to get through everything. I went 4 years straight, summers included, to get my bachelors. I started at community college, so when I transferred to a 4-yr during the summer, I was “behind” on my chemistry series, so I started there. The only other prereqs I took during summers were psych, sociology, and statistics. Everything else was taken in a full semester.

In hindsight I should have gone one more year, and not taken anything in the summer. I probably wouldn’t be doing a masters degree right now had I done it that way, but that’s ok. I’ve really enjoyed my masters coursework.
Good luck and best wishes!

Try to see if you can take them in separate summer sessions. Most schools have 2 or 3 summer session in 1 summer so that students can focus on 1 class at a time.

You're already going to a college that lets you take your tests home, how hard can it be? Go for it.

I'd rather go to LSU. Everyone in Louisiana knows what a joke Southern University is.