Reasonable Medical School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a reasonable list of less competitive medical schools to apply to? I'm a marginally competitive applicant, and a Mass resident. I intend to revise this list and narrow it down to 20 or so schools. If there are any schools I should add, let me know. Also, if there are any inappropriate schools on this list, or schools that are hard to get into from out of state, please let me know.

BU
Brown
Creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Med School
Einstein
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Medical College of Wisconsin
Mt Sinai
New York Medical College
NYU
Ohio State
Penn State
St Louis U
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Stony Brook
SUNY-Upstate
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
UMass
USC
U of Rochester
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth U
Albany
Loyola-Stritch
Michigan State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Wayne State
Wright State

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a reasonable list of less competitive medical schools to apply to, given I'm a marginally competitive applicant, and a Mass resident? If there are any schools I should add, let me know. Also, if there are any inappropriate schools on this list, or schools that are hard to get into from out of state, please let me know. (Note: I intend to eventually narrow down my final list to 20 or so schools)

BU
Brown
Creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Einstein
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Mt Sinai
New York Medical College
NYU
Ohio State
Penn State
St Louis U
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Stony Brook
SUNY-Upstate
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
UMass
USC
U of Rochester
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth U
Albany
Loyola-Stritch
Michigan State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Wayne State
Wright State
Looks good, but thats a crap load of schools.

This is second hand info from my adviser, but I hear SUNY is impossible unless you are a NY resident. Just FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a reasonable list of less competitive medical schools to apply to? I'm a marginally competitive applicant, and a Mass resident. I intend to revise this list and narrow it down to 20 or so schools. If there are any schools I should add, let me know. Also, if there are any inappropriate schools on this list, or schools that are hard to get into from out of state, please let me know.

BU
Brown
Creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Einstein
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Mt Sinai
New York Medical College
NYU
Ohio State
Penn State
St Louis U
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Stony Brook
SUNY-Upstate

Temple
Tufts
Tulane
UMass
USC
U of Rochester
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth U
Albany
Loyola-Stritch
Michigan State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Wayne State
Wright State

The ones in bold are very tough to get into if you are out of state. I would think twice about those unless you're very competitive with their stats...check out the new MSAR.

Dartmouth and NYU are pretty tough to get into unless your numbers are pretty competitive also...

This is second hand info from my adviser, but I hear SUNY is impossible unless you are a NY resident. Just FYI.
Not according to the numbers.....either is ohio state

I agree with Wright state though, you should throw that one out. Probably brown too

downstate is friendly to OOS

I could be wrong, but I thought SUNY was relatively OOS friendly...or at least a couple of them.

The SUNY schools are nowhere near as instate friendly as certain other places.

I would hardly call Ohio State, Einstein, NYU, Brown and a few others "less competitive"

Most of the SUNY schools in the past have offered no preference to NY students. I don't know if this has changed since I applied last year though. :)

Good Luck

I'm a marginally competitive applicant.

you've qualified it so much that this means nothing. if you want real advice you need to give more concrete information.
and besides, when do you i'm only going to make some snide sexual reference.