reasonable reimbursement from the employer? (licensing, DEA, board exam...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caulfield830

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to start my first job out of fellowship and have a question about what would be considered a reasonable request to my employer to cover some job-related expenses.
1. initial state full license application fee ($600)
2. FSMB fee (because my state required it as part of the state license application) (about $600)
3. renewal of state full license application fee ($600, because my birthday falls right outside of 90 days since the initial app sigh)
4. state controlled substance license ($150)
5. DEA fee (about $900)
6. BLS/ACLS re-certification (I had to do these specifically for the job for $300)
7. Oncology board ($2500), hematology board ($2500)
My job has CME funds, but the problem is all 1-7 need to be spent BEFORE my job start date (7/1/22), except 3, which is about 1.5months into the job. Affording all these on the fellow salary feels too much and I wanted to ask my future employer if any of these can be covered. I wanted to know what the "industry standard" is so I can set my expectations correctly.

Members don't see this ad.

How much of that did they tell you was covered/reimbursed in your offer letter/contract?

Ask for whatever you want, but the "industry standard" is that it's all in writing in the contract.

How much of that did they tell you was covered/reimbursed in your offer letter/contract?

Ask for whatever you want, but the "industry standard" is that it's all in writing in the contract.
Thanks, I was so stupid and didn't think of any of these costs that I needed to pay before starting the job and my employer didn't think of them either. After I start the job, all the expenses will be covered, but I didn't specify anything in the contract when I signed it 6 months ago. I will ask anyway but I may just need to go moonlight this weekend... sigh. For current fellows, don't be stupid like me.

Members don't see this ad :)
After I start the job, all the expenses will be covered
Do you mean to say that your contract specifically says that the expenses will only be covered if they are incurred after you start employment? Or do you mean to say that they'll reimburse you once you start, but you want to be reimbursed sooner?

My contract just lists a bunch of things that will be reimbursed - I had to wait until I started to get reimbursed, but I did get it all reimbursed

Do you mean to say that your contract specifically says that the expenses will only be covered if they are incurred after you start employment? Or do you mean to say that they'll reimburse you once you start, but you want to be reimbursed sooner?

My contract just lists a bunch of things that will be reimbursed - I had to wait until I started to get reimbursed, but I did get it all reimbursed
Sorry, it took so long to respond. Your first interpretation is correct. Nothing was specified about expenses that I would incur before I'm on their payroll. I didn't think of these expenses so it never occurred to me to specify these in the contract.

Sorry, it took so long to respond. Your first interpretation is correct. Nothing was specified about expenses that I would incur before I'm on their payroll. I didn't think of these expenses so it never occurred to me to specify these in the contract.
The other thing you mentioned in your initial post was that you have "CME funds" - but at least in my job, licensing and certification fees fall into a completely different category.

If it explicitly says those won't be covered, then you may be out of luck - however, I don't think it hurts to ask and see what happens. Worst case, they say no and you're exactly where you are now anyway

The other thing you mentioned in your initial post was that you have "CME funds" - but at least in my job, licensing and certification fees fall into a completely different category.

If it explicitly says those won't be covered, then you may be out of luck - however, I don't think it hurts to ask and see what happens. Worst case, they say no and you're exactly where you are now anyway
Just wanted to close the thread with the result.
I asked, and apparently, they will cover everything! So future fellows, just ask even though you didn't specify anything in the contract.

Reactions: 1 users