Reasons for failure on usmle step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambereyze

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the 7% of people who fail step one the first time, what is the primary reason they give? Is it they just did not study? Did they not study long enough? Did they use the wrong study materials? Or did they just panick before, after, and during the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

this topic was just addressed in a newsletter I get from the American College of Physicians. Let me see if I can sum it up...

1) number one reason was inadequate study time/taking a vacation during study period

2) passive study methods. "don't just read, review and reread material over and over again....you not only need to read and review, but you also need to take practice exams, review aloud, quiz one another, and then take more practice exams."

3) isolation from peers. have a buddy/touch base/quiz each other/review. don't engage in negative talk about exam

4) spending too much time on SDN. just kidding! but if I fail, I'm blaming sdn ;)