Reasons I love my job...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm in the wound care clinic today. Normally a waste of time, but, hey, it's part of an easy rotation. Soooo, a relatively young (mid 30's) operator comes in with his wife for care of wounds secondary to a single 7.62mm GSW in the knee ~3 wk ago.. Nicest guy in the world, he described to me the firefight and subsequent medical care from the FST to the theater hospital to the stateside military hospital he went to before he came to us.

I couldn't help but thinking two things: (1) we really DO take care of America's heroes and (2) I'll be damned if the system doesn't work pretty damn well. Without revealing any details, the time from firefight to FST team to theater hospital was mind boggling. So many times we hear (and experience) the bad stuff and the bullsh*t; but for a moment at least, I felt pretty damn proud (and encouraged) that the system WORKED where it really counts...in combat:thumbup:. FWIW.....

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks BOHICA-FIGMO for sharing! Posts like these are what keeps me going and wanting to pursue Military Medicine!

Thanks for the great story and your insight into how amazing it can and does work!

My fiancée has been telling me similar amazing stories as he goes through his intern year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what you are saying. To me military medicine is about the E3/E4s. One general I worked for said being an officer was a privilege to be able to empower and support the warfighters. I loved the sheltered womb of internship/residency for the most part and the lion's share of medical resources we had at the MTF.

agree. I've been involved in some truly amazing evacuations, and resuscitation's. Anecdotally, I've also been impressed that the more severely injured the soldier, often the better their recovery and outlook. The guys who are less severely injured (musculoskeletal back pain, mechanical knee pain etc.), seemed to be the ones who get the media attention and reported the "poorest care" in their estimation.