Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

reassurance, advice, realism....please help.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by postbac26, Aug 8, 2001.

1. postbac26

postbac26 New Member

hi. i am so tired. am feeling so bummed. i quit my job in may to finish the premed prereqs. i have a master's degree in psychology. have worked for five years at a hospital...

but this summer, i am drowning. i took chem ii and anatomy and physio i...

and the absolute best i can hope for is two C's. and if i don't do well on this exam in anatomy tonight...well, a C and a D.

my gpa pre-this disaster is a 3.77 undergrad.

this summer has made me realize that i really do want this...enjoy this...

but i am i doing this all in vain if i get two c's, or even worse???

i would appreciate any feedback.

thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Why are you having such a difficult time? Finances? Sig. other? Too much work? Poor study skills? If you need help figuring this out, check with your school to see if they have someone to help with study skills. Med school is a lot of work, so you should sort these problems out asap.

As for the grades themselves, can you withdraw from the classes still? Or, if you are very lucky, drop them? Med schools will not be happy to see such poor grades. Check with your advisor about your options.

Hang in there.

4. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Probably a big reason you're having trouble is that is one vicious summer courseload, darlin'. I know, as an older student, you can start to worry about how long it's going to take to get to medical school, but it's better to go slow and do well than to try and crush yourself through the prereqs. Can you withdraw from any of the classes? A C or two won't sink you, but a W might be a better choice. FYI--having taken anatomy will help you in medical school for sure, but it won't do much for you in terms of helping you out on the MCAT, and it's certainly not a prereq. Take biochem! Much higher yield for the MCAT, IMHO...

Good luck.

5. lucky

lucky Junior Member

Postbac26
    I am a postbac too,and I agree with the above posts. I don't know about your school, but my summer classes were very small, short and intense. I don't think I could have survived those 3 sciences concurrently. If I were you, I would take it slow and try to spend more time on each individual class. It is obvious that you are intelligent and dedicated, but you might think about managing your time and efforts better.
    I hope it works out for you!
    :)

6. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

If you get a D in one of the classes, you might consider retaking it. If you get 2 C's, don't despair, you are doing well, you GPA will not be brought down by that much. Just take the next level and do better on it to prove that you can handle the material and be sure to do well on the MCAT. I know a girl that got into Wash U med(no. 1 in student selectivity) with one C in organic chem but good grades in everything else; so I'm sure that it's possible to still get in somewhere with 2 C's and the rest good grades.

7. Sm00th13

Sm00th13 Senior Member

Hey postbac26,

I would go along with the other message. If you can withdraw from the classes, then do so. If you can't, then you need to take the prequistics over again. Ask the professor if some sort of an arrangement can be made to help you with your situation. Worse come to worse, you're going to have to score high on your MCAT (and of course great recommendations) to offset the low grades in your present classes. In the end, if you truly want to go to medical school, then you'll find a way to get in, as long as you don't give up. :cool: :cool:

8. postbac26

postbac26 New Member

Thank you for the replies. I finished anatomy tonight. I think (hope) I made my C. (I can't believe I am typing that with a mild sense of relief.) I am only going to take Physics I and Organic Chem I in the fall...I appreciate your support and your candor.

9. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Congrats on finishing anatomy! :)

Now, do check with the study skills people. They can give you lots of tips to help.

10. If you got through a grad program in psych, you must have good study skills. I think it is wise to lighten up on the courseload and concentrate on each class.