Reattach Limbs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedDocMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kinda a general question...but...what kind of surgeon would reattach limbs? Any kind...fingers, hands, whole arms, legs, etc. A trauma surgeon probably, right?

Members don't see this ad.

This is kinda a general question...but...what kind of surgeon would reattach limbs? Any kind...fingers, hands, whole arms, legs, etc. A trauma surgeon probably, right?

Ortho, maybe plastics for hand.

Would ortho know how to deal with the nerves and stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
reattachment of limbs falls under the domain of micro-vascular surgery ... the most common things replanted are fingers ... therefore falls under hand surgrey (plastics or orthopaedic hand surgery)

larger limbs then can also be done by vascular for the revasc. part ... but then there is the bone, tendon and nerve repairs ... done by ortho and sometime neurosurgery ...

so most large limb replants have a number of services involved ...

hope that answers you question ...

I saw a hand amputation, via boat motor, when i was working in the ed the other day. The attending called ortho and vascular. Not really sure what happened to the guy once he went to the OR but I think it was a nice clean cut to give the surgeons some good vessels to work with.

Currently trauma surgeons have little training in orthopedics and none in microvascular (unless they have obtained it outside of their fellowship program).

As others have noted, replants are typically the realm of ortho or plastics and are commonly a multi-team procedure, with vascular possibly being involved as well. The trauma surgeon gets to admit the patient to their service and take care of his other needs, while everyone else gets to have fun in the OR.