Rec letter co-written by two professionals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lams11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My experience with two signers is that in reality only one writes the letter and the other reads it and signs it. I don't think there is a downside to it but I'm not sure the letters will be as fabulous or as impactful as you think they will be. But that's what I think. I'd pick the people who will write the very best letters.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd pick the people who will write the very best letters.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Meaning you'd pick which of the two I'd think would write the better letter and only have them write it? Or do you mean when having it co-written, have the primary writer be the one I'd be more confident in?

My experience with two signers is that in reality only one writes the letter and the other reads it and signs it. I don't think there is a downside to it but I'm not sure the letters will be as fabulous or as impactful as you think they will be. But that's what I think. I'd pick the people who will write the very best letters.

Along these lines, anyone who stops to think about it for 2 seconds or more will realize the letter was written by the junior signer and that the person with the more impressive title was added for gravitas. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but if possible, the letter should indicate in some way how well the senior person knows you so his/her signature has more than rubber stamp value.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user