1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Rec letter question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dradams, Mar 25, 2004.

1. dradams

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another question about nontrad applicants. I am working full time as a biology teacher and am wondering where an applicant such as myself would obtain rec letters? I have shadowed a couple of docs and they have offered but should I have other letters not from docs?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rgporter

rgporter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I spent four years in a laboratory before I applied. I emailed some of my professors, explained who I was, what I'd been doing for the last four years and my motivation for finally applying to med school. They were all really open to writing letters of rec, in fact I got better letters than I would have if I'd had them write a letter right after graduation. Teachers usually have a lot of respect for people who go into the real world before assuming the responsibilities of medical school. You can only look good in comparison to your average pimply faced gunner who comes whining to the prof about a rec letter. (not that all traditionals are pimply faced gunners, but there are a lot and they give us all a bad name)
    I also got a killer letter from the doctor who employs me.

4. Rose122

Rose122 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm sure your administrator/principal will need to be one of your recommendors. Outside of that, anyone familiar with your science aptitude, ie a chemistry prof, or dedication to medicine, ie shadowed physicians, will supplement your application.