Rec Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkx011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some help. I've recently asked an old employer for a rec letter and he asked that I actually write a sample rec in advance. Does anybody have any advice or any links as to where I could get some advice regarding rec letters?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

my experience with employers is usually "write whatever you want and I'll sign it"

yuck I hate it when they do that.

you could always try asking your premed department or advisors for examples.

my experience with employers is usually "write whatever you want and I'll sign it"

That would drive me crazy. I would think adcoms are good at smelling those. Most people tend to have a somewhat distinctive writing style, and I would imagine it's possible to determine it when next to a PS.

You could always ask them if they would be comfortable writing the letter if you provide them with a brief synopsis or list of the type of things you would appreciate them mentioning. It's hard, but you have to draw the fine line between what type of material it is important for them to include (especially since they probably don't know) and actually writing the letter for them. I personally feel the second borders on dishonest and unethical.