Recc Letter Rejection?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Elysium, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Elysium

Elysium Not Really An Old Beaver
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    So Tragic.

For our committee letter from my school, we have to get (at least) 3 people to fill out recommendation forms. Because I am a post-bacc and have never had a prof twice at this school, I asked my very cool (28 year old) Orgo prof who I'm taking Orgo II with this semester for a letter. He told me today that he didn't know me well enough and that I'm not doing "exceptionally" in the class and that he didn't want to recommend someone to the comittee that he doesn't know that well. It kind of upset me. Anyone else had a smack down of this variety?

:(

P.S. I'm not doing lousy in the class. I'm in the B range.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    it's good that he's being honest about it. better to have that then to get a bad rec letter from him.

here's what i did for getting my letters.
    i made a packet for them:
    transcript
    resume
    letter stating my motiviations for med school
    stamped envelope

basically the letter i wrote gave them the foundation for their rec letter. make it easy for them.

don't worry about being brushed off like that. find someone enthusiastic about writing one for you.

4. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    unless the prof really likes you, i would recommend that you are at least pulling an A in the class.

5. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member
    7+ Year Member

Although it may not seem like it he does want the best for you. The best LORs are written by people who know hte candidate well.

Regretably you are probably littl more to him than the guy who sits in seat 74 and is pulling a 'B' average. If you want to impress the guy study your a$$ off answer his hard questions in class (and raise the grade up to an A in the process. This will get his attention.

Then go to a couple of seminars you find kinda interesting and that he does too. Make small talk there. That's how you'll get the LOR out of him. Give him a reason to reconmend you. Peace.

6. SarahL

SarahL Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was rejected three times by former professors. Because I went to a large public university and applied several years out of college, none of them remembered me. But I ended up with eight letters of recommendation (seriously) and several other people offered to write them because I've had some groovy experiences in the last few years. My advice is to be persistent, get to know them, and also get some good non-professor letters if you can. You can still get in -- I did!