Medical Received IA During My Sophomore Year - Do I still have a chance at medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi everyone,

My first two years of college were pretty rough. I did poorly in most of my science classes with Cs in both bio and chem and I know this already puts me in a tough spot. I was juggling two jobs at the time and had things happen at home that really prevented me from doing my best. Even so, I should have done better and I get that. To make matters much worse, spring of my sophomore year I was working and had an ochem lab practical the next day. I proceeded to make the most regrettable decision of my life and sacrificed my moral integrity for just a taste of success. I was caught trying to cheat and after meeting with a disciplinary committee, the action was listed in my disciplinary record but not on my transcript. The punishment was a 0 on the lab practical, but my grade for ochem remained the same. I spent several months feeling anxiety about the uncertainty of my future. It would have been exponentially better to have taken a 0 on the lab practical than a seemingly insurmountable stain on my record and a direct display of shaky moral judgment. My actions were not representative of the virtues and lessons that my university and education instilled in me and they most certainly were not in accordance to what my parents had taught me. Two weeks after the incident, I quit both of my jobs and dedicated myself to being a full time student, something I should have done a long time ago. As a result, I ended up on the deans list for the first time that semester and the semester after. My ochem professor (different than the first one) in the fall of my junior year was also willing to write me a letter of rec and demonstrate my improvement throughout the course. Even though I earned a B-, I showed up to every office hour, asked questions, and sought extra help. In many ways, that second semester of ochem really taught me how to prepare for my classes and I ended with a 4.0 this semester. I understand what I did was morally reprehensible and I deserve all the criticism. I know my chances at medical school are slim to none, but I will keep pushing and give it my all. What steps can I take, who should I contact, in order to show medical admissions committees that not only have I learned from my mistake, but that I am also a completely different person.
Might not be lethal. Far better to have this on the record as a SO than in your SR year.

You will have to check the box, explain this, and more importantly owned it. If you explain it like you did here, I think that will work. I can see your guilt pouring through the electrons which is the important thing.

Need an exemplary life from now on, and try to engage in positions of responsibility.

I guarantee you that if you never apply to medical school, your rejection rate will be 100%. Sometimes you have to take a stab at the golden ring and see in what direction Fate takes you

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
1) Don't cheat again. Own what you did.
2) Make sure your professors appreciate the changes and sacrifices you have made to describe it in a LOR.
3) Still focus on the clinical experience and volunteering hours. You have to be able to do more than one thing well within your own limits.
4) Get a support system and network with students attending schools on your wish list.

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.