Received Materials from Med. Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olsen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First a big good luck to each and everyone of you. It certainly has been a long haul but I have no doubt it would have been much harder for all of us without the support we give each other on this board!

Has anyone been mailed info from medical schools? For the most part I am talking about unrequested information. I ask because someone told me they received info from UofI and a few other schools along with a note from a school advising them to send in a printed app!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a big envelope from U of I saying "we are recruiting..." "because of your MCAT scores..." or something to that effect, for the MD/PhD progam (Medical Scientist?). I'm not interested but still nice.

I also got a package from Jefferson on Friday, presumably because they got my AMCAS info (I'm an Illinois resident) offering to let me submit their secondary or Activation Form as they call it.

BTW I submitted AMCAS app on July 15th and only my MCAT scores have been added, no grade stuff showing on my app yet.

Spang

Whoa,

If you don't mind me asking what was your total score. I am trying to figure out to whom they send these things out.

Members don't see this ad :)
U of Illinois sends those packets out to many students who are Illinois residents. You will probably get another packet from them before this process is all over!

I too got the same thing from the University of Illinois (having to do with the MCAT) even though I am not interested in the MSTP program. I also go a mailing from Pittsburg (??) asking to send in a printed copy of my AMCAS app, but I didn't designated them as a school.

I got the University of Illinois MD/PhD thing too, as well as a recruiting letter from Washington University. That was last year, since I took the August 2000 MCAT.

I got one of the UI Chicago MD/PhD applications too... but I'm not an Illinois resident.

When I took the mcat last august I got a pile of unsolicted mail, first one was from washu so that was pretty exciting since it was already one of my top choices. The rest were from U of Ill (mentioned above), UIC, Ross, and a whole bunch of podiatric schools. I don't know if washu sent things out to april takers cause someone with a better score than mine didn't get anything from them.

more recently in the mail I have gotten a viewbook from Upenn (because I designated them on my amcas), and a secondary with viewbook from hopkins.

olsen, I got a 36, i have a friend who got a 34 and she has gotten some of these things but not as many as I got, so I assume the cutoff score is somewhere in that range for most of them.

Olsen-

31Q; far from rocket-scientist material!! I just want to help people......

Spang

Originally posted by Spang:
•I got a big envelope from U of I saying "we are recruiting..." "because of your MCAT scores..." or something to that effect, for the MD/PhD progam (Medical Scientist?). I'm not interested but still nice.•

I got the same thing, and thought the same thing. Nice, but I'm not interested. :)

I was wondering if you could change your application to EDP for a particular school. I also got a couple of recruiting letters, one from one of my top choices (Hopkins), and knowing their interest, it would be nice if AMCAS would allow that.

Might as well forget it actually since Aug. 1 is around the corner.

How does this recruitment process work? If you score high enough on the MCAT, schools will automatically mail you a letter about going there? Does receiving a letter imply that you will more than likely be granted an interview? I'm an Illinois resident and would LOVE to get a letter from U of I saying "We want YOU!". Hmmm....

Please fill me in.

Thanks

Originally posted by Atlas:
•How does this recruitment process work? If you score high enough on the MCAT, schools will automatically mail you a letter about going there? Does receiving a letter imply that you will more than likely be granted an interview? I'm an Illinois resident and would LOVE to get a letter from U of I saying "We want YOU!". Hmmm....

Please fill me in.

Thanks•
I think it's more like a form letter if your MCAT is above a threshold. I am not an Illinois resident but I guess they thought I was cool enough to tell about their MD/PhD program. As for Wash U, the letter started by congratulating me for my MCAT performance, which was good but not spectacular. I think it doesn't mean that much.

If it is based on a cutoff for MCATs, which seems the most reasonable, then you probably would be more likely to get an interview since the school seems to think you're a big stud already.

Originally posted by Smoke This:
•If it is based on a cutoff for MCATs, which seems the most reasonable, then you probably would be more likely to get an interview since the school seems to think you're a big stud already.•

Too bad none of the letters I've received so far have been from schools I am actually applying to. :)

Is it really guaranteed that you will get an interview given recruitment letters? My pre-med advisor told me that some schools would send it to anybody who get a 30 and above as part of their "money-making scheme" to get as many applications as they can.