Received my first F ever.. senior year..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaDxG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I underestimated the class, it was a non science class (administration in healthcare) , and I didn’t study for the final or tests and failed the class.

I’m planning to take mcat and apply this cycle, how do I handle this when applying? Will it be brought up? Any and all help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope it gets brought up. If you were an interviewer, or likely more importantly an app reviewer, wouldn't you bring it up? It's one thing to fail a class early on before you've decided on medicine. It's another to take a class as a student that's about to apply and fail because you didn't study for multiple tests and the final. It will impact your application. How much so depends on the rest of your app and how, when asked, you handle it.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope it gets brought up. If you were an interviewer, or likely more importantly an app reviewer, wouldn't you bring it up? It's one thing to fail a class early on before you've decided on medicine. It's another to take a class as a student that's about to apply and fail because you didn't study for multiple tests and the final. It will impact your application. How much so depends on the rest of your app and how, when asked, you handle it.

I agree, but is this going to possibly screen me out.

Or also, does this hurt my app so much more now?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is pretty bad for your application, no doubt. Many schools have MMI style interviews where the interviewers know nothing about the candidates, so you can't really address it.

Nothing you can do about it now, though.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a D in my immunology class my senior year. I retook a harder immunology class and got an A. My interviewer brought it up and I answered truthfully and told her how I retook it. Still got into a school. You should retake a similar or harder class to show that you want to improve and do better. Good luck :)

I got a D in my immunology class my senior year. I retook a harder immunology class and got an A. My interviewer brought it up and I answered truthfully and told her how I retook it. Still got into a school. You should retake a similar or harder class to show that you want to improve and do better. Good luck :)
I'd see if it was offered over the summer, and see if there's any way you could do that. Get an A in it and hope that helps with any doubts. Don't know if it'd work since it seems the mcat is in your summer plans.

And I can't say if it'll get you "screened out." One F won't from a systematic screen unless your other grades aren't good. Could it have an app reviewer feel more strongly about other applications than yours? Certainly.

I'd see if it was offered over the summer, and see if there's any way you could do that. Get an A in it and hope that helps with any doubts. Don't know if it'd work since it seems the mcat is in your summer plans.

And I can't say if it'll get you "screened out." One F won't from a systematic screen unless your other grades aren't good. Could it have an app reviewer feel more strongly about other applications than yours? Certainly.

I already checked, there are no options.
What should i do? The rest of the semester was a 3.7 gpa.

I cant retake :(

This is pretty bad for your application, no doubt. Many schools have MMI style interviews where the interviewers know nothing about the candidates, so you can't really address it.

Nothing you can do about it now, though.

Hey man, thanks for your input. They really wont even know?

For AZCOM and CCOM, the interviewers only get your resume and secondary application essays.

What I think he meant is that there isn't a traditional interview so you can't even go out of your way to address it so there's a voice in adcom meetings explaining what happened from your point of view. A lot of secondaries will ask if you want to explain anything. You can do it there.

The interviewers won't. However, the people deciding whether you get an interview - and deciding whether to accept you after an interview - definitely will.

The point is that you won't be able to explain or talk about it in these instances.

What I think he meant is that there isn't a traditional interview so you can't even go out of your way to address it so there's a voice in adcom meetings explaining what happened from your point of view. A lot of secondaries will ask if you want to explain anything. You can do it there.

Oh I see, so probably just put it into the box where it says “explain more about something”?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviewers won't. However, the people deciding whether you get an interview - and deciding whether to accept you after an interview - definitely will.

The point is that you won't be able to explain or talk about it in these instances.

I understand, man I just hope my dreams aren’t crushed by a stupid class. It was my fault in the end, but the rest of my grades for this semester were B+ and higher. This class just had too many deadlines and I kept missing them etc.

I understand, man I just hope my dreams aren’t crushed by a stupid class. It was my fault in the end, but the rest of my grades for this semester were B+ and higher. This class just had too many deadlines and I kept missing them etc.

Do you think medical school will be easier with deadlines and work?

The question the adcoms will ask - and the question you should ask yourself - is "this guy just blew it in undergrad. What makes us think he will get it together in med school when the pressure and workload are significantly higher?"

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think medical school will be easier with deadlines and work?

The question the adcoms will ask - and the question you should ask yourself - is "this guy just blew it in undergrad. What makes us think he will get it together in med school when the pressure and workload are significantly higher?"

So how do I explain this? I was taking 20 credits, worked full time, I know it’s an excuse but still that’s the truth.

So how do I explain this? I was taking 20 credits, worked full time, I know it’s an excuse but still that’s the truth.

I think it's a little bit of a trick question. You can't, I think, adequately explain it. I suppose you'll just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. You have a good shot at being OK, but you never know.

Failing a class like that lies somewhere on a spectrum between a lack of judgment (not dropping, taking 20 hours with a work schedule, etc) and a lack of ability. Neither are good. One can be fixed more easily (the lack of judgment. Say you learned your lesson, became more organized). So explain it that way, it was a lack of judgment that you have learned from and won't repeat.

Can you re-take this class online or somewhere else? It's better to re-take it and show adcom that you can handle it.

Last edited:
For AZCOM and CCOM, the interviewers only get your resume and secondary application essays.

Not always. Mine had my CV and what seemed like some other info

Failing a class like that lies somewhere on a spectrum between a lack of judgment (not dropping, taking 20 hours with a work schedule, etc) and a lack of ability. Neither are good. One can be fixed more easily (the lack of judgment. Say you learned your lesson, became more organized). So explain it that way, it was a lack of judgment that you have learned from and won't repeat.

I agree, I’m going to have to turn it into a positive, and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the support everyone, I thought I was in deep ****, but after taking through it, I think I have a good idea of what to do, and what to expect.

I agree, I’m going to have to turn it into a positive, and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the support everyone, I thought I was in deep ****, but after taking through it, I think I have a good idea of what to do, and what to expect.

Can I ask what your overall GPA was before the F and now after the F? That may also have a bearing on how this is going to affect you.

I underestimated the class, it was a non science class (administration in healthcare) , and I didn’t study for the final or tests and failed the class.

I’m planning to take mcat and apply this cycle, how do I handle this when applying? Will it be brought up? Any and all help is appreciated.
I can't sugar coat this: this is not good. Your explanation alone screams poor judgement and laziness. See if you can get a retroactive withdrawal.

I can't sugar coat this: this is not good. Your explanation alone screams poor judgement and laziness. See if you can get a retroactive withdrawal.
In two schools that I went, you cannot get W if you are failing a class, only if you are passing at the time of withdrawal. Professors had to sign off and write if you are passing to the registrar.

Can I ask what your overall GPA was before the F and now after the F? That may also have a bearing on how this is going to affect you.

3.4 before, now 3.33 - so in the DO range for sure.

Don’t think I can. :(

Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all, and see how the cycle shakes out. But word of warning: don't **** up again.
So it's that bad? Well, I can't do anything about it now. I'm applying DO regardless, let us hope I score about a 510 to hopefully make up for it.