Received my MCAT score today and a bit disappointed. What should I do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oarsman1864

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received my MCAT score today and am pretty disappointed in it. The breakdown goes like this:

Total: 505
Chem/Phys: 129
CARS: 125
Bio/Biochem: 128
Psych: 123

I am a Molecular Biology and Biochemistry major with a minor in Chemistry (Involves taking Physical Chemistry) with 3.95 GPA. I have been doing research in a Marine Biology studying phytoplankton for about three years and have had undergraduates work under me. I am also a member of my school's D1 Varsity Rowing Program and compete in the EARC (the top rowing conference in the nation). I've also competed at large races such as the Head of the Charles in Boston, MA.

Also: I have 50 hours of shadowing my primary care physician.

I understand that my credentials are not very impressive but rowing has taken up most of my time here at school (about 20 hrs/week of practice).

This may sound like a very cliche question but what are my chances of getting into any MD program in New Jersey, NYC, or Philadelphia. Thanks for taking a look at my post.

Members don't see this ad.

Well your total MCAT is equal to a 28 on the old test but the Psych is really low. Not sure how important that is in the scheme of things. Are you planning to apply in June? Your ECs are very weak. Your research is okay and of course the rowing but you have no clinical work or seemingly no volunteer work. If you aren't applying this June find some activities to beef up your application. If you are planning to apply consider taking a gap year. You have shown no proof that you know what you are getting into or that you even want to work with or be around sick/injured people for the next 40 years. You really only want to apply one time with the very best app possible.
Do you have the MSAR? If not buy one and use it to research schools that fit your stats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Should I also retake my MCAT? 505 seems absurdly low to be competitive with any MD program in the tristate area. I don't have an MSAR but I'll definitely look at school requirements in my state. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can score consistently equivalent to a 31 (511?), not sure what that equates to on the 2015 scores, on your practice exams then I would retake. A 514 would be ideal so that it gives you a big improvement. If you're happy applying DO some clinical and non clinical volunteering will make you competitive.

Are MD schools out of the question with a score of 505? My science and math sections were decent but the psych section really killed me. Thanks

Are MD schools out of the question with a score of 505? My science and math sections were decent but the psych section really killed me. Thanks
If you have state schools where the 10th% MCAT is 28 or below, it's worth a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Essentially, I'll probably have to take a gap year either way to improve my scores and EC's. Are there certain EC's I should focus on and would 3 months be enough time to improve my MCAT by 10 points or so. I know this doesn't sound to realistic but I want build a competitive application that can get me into schools close to home. Thanks for the responses and help. Much appreciated

I wouldn't retake with that gpa and mcat. The average for MD is 31 for a reason, many people get in with 28.

A 28 is circling the drain. OP's best hope for an MD school is a killer app otherwise, and residence in a lucky state.

I wouldn't retake with that gpa and mcat. The average for MD is 31 for a reason, many people get in with 28.

You have sacrificed the future for today. the academic excellence is admirable. Now you need to bone up on the ECs.

I understand that my credentials are not very impressive but rowing has taken up most of my time here at school (about 20 hrs/week of practice).

With my MCAT score, I would say I did not take studying very seriously. I took a few section practice exams from Kaplan beforehand but that's about it. Looking at my score now is a bit of a wake up call. I've always had issues with CARS and the sort because English is my second language. If I focus on raising my Psych and Bio score, would that be enough for me to earn a 510 or should I focus on improving all of the sections? Thanks.

Doesn't sound like you have much volunteering or clinical experience. Your MCAT is low. You could apply to your state MD school and maybe a couple of others this cycle, but you should probably take the next year to study and practice and retake the MCAT and bolster your community/clinical experience and apply broadly in 2017.

I also have a lab tech job lined up during my gap year with my undergraduate research group where I can publish my own paper. I do plan on doing more volunteer/clinical work during the year as well in order to boost up my credentials. Other than that, is there anything else that med school admissions officers look at? Rowing has taken up all four years basically. And since there is no off season, I've had to train during the summer as well.

They want to see that you're academically prepared - your GPA says you are, but your MCAT says you're not quite ready yet. They want to see that you're interesting and active, and your rowing and research sort of points to that. But they also want to see that you're interested in serving other people and your community. Nothing you've told us indicates you have an interest in serving others.

Being a physician is very much about serving other people. You're around sick people all day every day. Do you know what you're getting into? Maybe you do, but reading your app should leave no doubt that you do.

Reactions: 1 user