Received the Army HPSP Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tmoneymaj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently notified that I will be receiving the 4 year scholarship which is a HUUUGE relief and something I am extremely excited about. Are there any current dental students out there that would like to throw out any suggestions or weigh in on their experience so far after receiving the HPSP?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was interested in that scholarship too. Just out of curiosity, have an idea of the minimum/average GPA and DAT requirements to get that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm not on HPSP, but I'm AD. My (unsolicited) advice: learn how to wear the uniform. Learn the rank structure and some basic customs/courtesies. When you do your indoc training, they'll cover a lot of that stuff, but I've met some HPSP'ers that look/act like they've never learned anything about the military. Congrats on the scholarship!

met some HPSP'ers that look/act like they've never learned anything about the military. Congrats on the scholarship!
ye8fth

Do tell...

My dad retired Army after 28 years so fortunately for me that will not be the case.

I have the scholarship right now as well. I just finished my first year. There really are no suggestions to make! Just sit back, enjoy your income and watch your fellow student squirm each semester as loans are disbursed. :) Just kidding.... but really though. haha. My experience has been great so far! No complaints yet!:)

Hey Tmoneymaj or dentistaazurro18 , I have a few questions for you because I'm interested in receiving the HPSP scholarship as well.

1. What's was your GPA and DAT you had or they recommended GPA/DAT they like in order for you to be a good candidate for this?

2. What is the latest you can apply for this and still be considered a good candidate

1- My GPA was around a 3.6 science and a 3.7 overall. My DAT was a 24.
2- You really need to have your application in by December because all of the spots might get filled if not. Keep in mind, it can be a very lengthy process to get the application done so I would start in September. Seriously, if you are wanting to do it this year, I would contact your recruiter now just to see how soon you can get started.

1- My GPA was around a 3.6 science and a 3.7 overall. My DAT was a 24.
2- You really need to have your application in by December because all of the spots might get filled if not. Keep in mind, it can be a very lengthy process to get the application done so I would start in September. Seriously, if you are wanting to do it this year, I would contact your recruiter now just to see how soon you can get started.
Hey! I just applied for the 3 year AF HPSP and I should have an interview within the next couple of weeks... I know this is thread is for the Army, but what was your interview like?

I want to be somewhat prepared but haven't been able to find any insight into what the interviews are like.

Do you have to go through any physical training for this scholarship? Also, do students have to wear the uniform to classes?

I suggest reading the HPSP handbook when you get access to it. In it, you'll find a section stating what you'll need to do in order to maintain your scholarship.

If you ever find yourself questioning whether you should do something, you're better off not doing it.

Hey! I just applied for the 3 year AF HPSP and I should have an interview within the next couple of weeks... I know this is thread is for the Army, but what was your interview like?

I want to be somewhat prepared but haven't been able to find any insight into what the interviews are like.

I think the reason you can't find much is because we aren't quite sure what you're referring to... at least that is my case. Maybe the ARMY is differ but I really can't think of any interview that I had to do... I literally talked to nobody outside of my recruiter. Then you have your physical but there's no interview involved with that either... The only interviews that my recruiter and I talked about were dental school interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to go through any physical training for this scholarship? Also, do students have to wear the uniform to classes?

No, no physical training is necessary to receive the scholarship. Any no, you don't wear your uniform to class. In fact, I don't even have a uniform...

I think the reason you can't find much is because we aren't quite sure what you're referring to... at least that is my case. Maybe the ARMY is differ but I really can't think of any interview that I had to do... I literally talked to nobody outside of my recruiter. Then you have your physical but there's no interview involved with that either... The only interviews that my recruiter and I talked about were dental school interviews.

No interview for the army?

No interview for the army?
Unless I'm just forgetting it for some reason... No. When I applied (2013-2014) I don't remember having any interview...:/ I really could be spacing it or something, but I don't think there was one.

Hey Tmoneymaj or dentistaazurro18 , I have a few questions for you because I'm interested in receiving the HPSP scholarship as well.

1. What's was your GPA and DAT you had or they recommended GPA/DAT they like in order for you to be a good candidate for this?

2. What is the latest you can apply for this and still be considered a good candidate

I had a 3.7 science GPA and 24 DAT. Don't feel bad if your DAT is not that high, I'm not bragging because I studied extremely hard but my recruiter said they don't see many that high for HPSP.

I would apply ASAP. I waited until November and was almost screwed out of the scholarship. I didn't find out until mid June which is not normal at all.

ok
I have the scholarship right now as well. I just finished my first year. There really are no suggestions to make! Just sit back, enjoy your income and watch your fellow student squirm each semester as loans are disbursed. :) Just kidding.... but really though. haha. My experience has been great so far! No complaints yet!:)
lets see ya squirm when you are serving while Im enjoying practicing where I want =P

I think for HPSP scholarship offers prior to having an acceptance in hand, the minimum is a 3.5 oGPA and 19AA for Army assuming you can get the app and MEPS done pretty early on. Those fill up quickly but don't despair because many apply to more than one service branch so there is some degree of scholarships opening up between December and June because people sometimes get a later offer from a preferred branch. I'm still waiting for my stuff to wrap up and I've got another friend still waiting on the background check for security clearance.

I think my packet was some 54 pages plus obtaining 4+LOR (they pick 4 of them I think), had to bring a bunch of original key documents for them to keep a copy, and then going to MEPS which BTW can be all day. You get priority as an officer candidate but when it comes down to it, you only get to leave when your recruiter comes back to pick you up.

Can you apply for all 3 at the same time? Army , navy Air Force?

I think for HPSP scholarship offers prior to having an acceptance in hand, the minimum is a 3.5 oGPA and 19AA for Army assuming you can get the app and MEPS done pretty early on. Those fill up quickly but don't despair because many apply to more than one service branch so there is some degree of scholarships opening up between December and June because people sometimes get a later offer from a preferred branch. I'm still waiting for my stuff to wrap up and I've got another friend still waiting on the background check for security clearance.

I think my packet was some 54 pages plus obtaining 4+LOR (they pick 4 of them I think), had to bring a bunch of original key documents for them to keep a copy, and then going to MEPS which BTW can be all day. You get priority as an officer candidate but when it comes down to it, you only get to leave when your recruiter comes back to pick you up.

54 pages? How is that long? I have been meeting with recruiter and I have been giving him like my medical records, transcripts, etc.

When did you start writing the essays and filling the applications?

Do you know if the requirement of 3.5 is based on your AADSAS GPA or TMDSAS GPA? I am a Texas resident and on TMDSAS it is definitely a 3.5, but with AADSAS it is a 3.49. It sucks because my DAT is a 21 AA 22 TS

ok

lets see ya squirm when you are serving while Im enjoying practicing where I want =P

Haha. Nobody said there weren't downsides to accepting the scholarship as well but this was not the question.:) Believe it or not, some people actually want to be serving their country. A base is literally where they want to practice regardless of its geographic location. And from what I've seen, there is just as much or more squirming for those first 5 years in private practice compared to military service.

Hello all my name is SFC Powell I just joined this site I’m a Army medical recruiter I figured I could help out if anyone has any questions congrats to all on your achievements.

Haha. Nobody said there weren't downsides to accepting the scholarship as well but this was not the question.:) Believe it or not, some people actually want to be serving their country. A base is literally where they want to practice regardless of its geographic location. And from what I've seen, there is just as much or more squirming for those first 5 years in private practice compared to military service.
Hey I was just kidding! :)

Are the same number of scholarships awarded every year or does it change with each year?
It varies... I'm not sure exactly how they determine it but it has to do with the retention of current dentists etc.

It varies... I'm not sure exactly how they determine it but it has to do with the retention of current dentists etc.
Hi dentistaazzurro18
I am applying to army dental hpsp this year.
Just a short question, how many board meeting dental corp will have in one year?
Some threads said there were several board, but my recruiter told me there is only one in Dec after Christmas.

Thanks

Hello all my name is SFC Powell I just joined this site I’m a Army medical recruiter I figured I could help out if anyone has any questions congrats to all on your achievements.

Hi SFC Powell,

I'm interested in taking a look at the Dental Army Scholarship Contract. Is there a way I can access this online or get a copy?